What do you make of this 17th century day bed?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dhruv Chevli, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Hello

I live in England and so does my seller.

The seller claims it was made circa 1670, would you agree with him? Please tell me your thoughts on it why. The price is £1,250 ($1,418 USD) do you think this is a reasonable price?

My seller's description of the furniture;

A Rare 17th-century Day bed, the carved head has an inlay of Holly the carving is original, the condition is excellent.
    circa 1670
    DIMENSIONS
    LENGTH 170 CMS
    DEPTH 64 CMS
    HEIGHT 104 CMS

Please see the link below for photos.

https://imgur.com/a/DNpaNiC

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Dhruv Chevli Welcome!
    please can you post photos as many people don’t like clicking on unknown links. Thankyou :) Let us know if you struggle with posting photos.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and antidiem like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'll do a couple for you, but you should be able to direct link to the photos from within this thread (should be posted in Furniture forum):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and KSW like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I believe the bigger question here is: do you think you'd be comfortable laying or sitting on this wooden thing even with a thick pad?

I would not think so, despite the price or the age...

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

6. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

It's a personal preference but I have some ideas to make it more comfortable if I do get it

Wise Owl, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Please
    So what do you think?

8. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Alright, I will make sure. What do you think of it? Thanks for uploading the photos for me

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh I know, just seems impractical to spend so much money on it. No, I don't think it's from the 1600s. My rationale is that the carving is not fine, not ornate enough to have been saved from that time period. The legs and bed look way more modern.

Where did your seller say this comes from? It appears to have been made with some battered parts on the back, or else it has been refinished more than once, which is a good possibility too.

I would guess it came from Indonesia, stripped from other furniture pieces, then cobbled together in bits and parts. Let me bring in a couple of our furniture members in for their opinions because I could be wrong about this.

@verybrad , @Ghopper1924

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its guaranteed according to ad,

"Buy With Confidence" as members of LAPADA all our stock is guaranteed as described. Membership of LAPADA is only open to those who meet the associations requirements for experience, quality of stock and knowledge of their subject.

11. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Sorry, I'm not a furniture guy, so I can't offer anything useful here.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id expect to see woodworm holes at the very least were it as old as seller claims. And much more warping and signs of wear. Not much from that time is going to be perfectly straight.

antidiem likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks 19th C Anglo Indian to me. Raj.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It certainly has age, and the beautiful back panel could be 17th century, imo.
    The combination of marquetry and carving is seen a lot on Dutch furniture, also of the 17th century. I could be wrong, but I think English furniture of the period was mainly carved, not inlaid.
    The main wood of the carved and inlaid panel looks like oak, which rules out Asia, and the style is very NW European. I think either Dutch or English.

I wonder if it is a marriage though.
    If you can't find anything similar, maybe study 17th century paintings for reference. There are many Dutch 17th century paintings of house interiors with furniture. ("Dutch Golden Age")

kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very reassuring.:playful:

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen 15th and 16th Century English furniture with inlay/marquetry, not that I own any ☹️ Anyway, there was lots of back and forth between Holland and England in the 17th Century.

Yes, the carving seems Victorian ca. 1880, but remember that the Victorians loved 17th Century furniture. No reason to believe that this isn’t the real thing.

That said, it seems a bit pricey but not terrible. After all, where will you find another one?

As far as comfort goes, my back hurts just looking at it. I’d rather sleep on a pallet on the floor.

17. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

The seller is a LAPADA and CINOA member, he says he has 50 years of experience with antiques. He says he bought it from someone in Cumbria (England). Thanks for trying to bring the other members

kyratango likes this.
  18. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

I do have a late 17th-century chair which does not have any woodworm signs but definitely has age-related wear. There is always some luck involved

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Yes the seller is a LAPADA and CINOA member

20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Really out of my area of expertise. I can't say that this looks like it is 350 years old but certainly has good age to it. The rather short length, by today's standards, is also a good sign.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted