What Does Primitive Mean In The US?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rabid Collector, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Hi all, no fancy items or pictures, just a plain boring question. When I see some US adverts online for antiques, I see the word “primitive” used and to me that means an item dating back to the Stone Age or Iron Age but this seems to have a different meaning in the US. Can someone explain to me what primitive refers to in the US? Is there a specific definition? Thanks.

Joe2007 and judy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OK, Gurus!!!! Hit the keys, and answer this member's question......if y'all can!!!!!!!
    :joyful::joyful::joyful::D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::smuggrin::smuggrin: I'm sure we ALL have some pretty varied answers!!!

Rabid Collector and judy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, Google is your friend on this and others may express this differently but... In the U.S., "primitive art" is a term used to describe art created by people without formal art training. Primitive art includes outsider art and folk art. Grandma Moses is one of the most famous examples of a primitive American (folk art) painter. Here's an example of her work.

6122314400_93dd834ecf_b.jpg

Henry Darger is another primitive American (outsider art) painter. Here is an example of his work.

pichenry-darger_flashart-720x576.jpg

What primitive art isn't in the U.S. (or anywhere for that matter) is art from pre-history and Third World cultures.

The cave paintings of Altamira which are Paleolithic certainly couldn't be considered primitive.

Unknown.jpg

Nor could the African masks that inspired Picasso.

Unknown.jpg

Debora

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Aquitaine, BaseballGames and sabre123 like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

or just plain home made. Outside of a factory.

judy and sabre123 like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is a term whose use has changed over time. "Primitive" is a term that has been used to describe non-Western art and objects, but now is considered to carry pejorative connotations. Such objects would now be described as "ethnographic" art and objects.

It is also used in the antique and flea market trade to refer to all kinds of objects made by non-professionals, as @Debora and @terry5732 have said. It is also used for objects that show "desirable" wear and tear - like "shabby chic".

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

When you see it in an ad, it's probably just being used as a search keyword, like "curated" for example - and often without anything to do with the item :jimlad:

Sometimes old farm bits and pieces are sold as primitives too.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Rabid Collector, Aquitaine and Fid like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Apart from using the term to describe folk art (which I would not do BTW), I think a "primtive" (as an object) has to follow a couple of stylistic rules, especially in the case of furniture. It has to have either a heavily weathered or worn paint look or be a bit on the amateurish side and be at least as old as the great depression if not earlier. Earlier the better of course, western settlers home-made furniture would qualify for sure.

I think the key to the definition of primitive-ness (as it refers to objects in particular), is a something or other made by a person who was not formally trained in the trade of making whatsoever it may be.

Stick that in yer pipe Wikipedia!!!:D

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Primitive here might be defined as "art or objects made by a non-professional artist out of materials found to hand". Southwestern furniture circa 1820 would qualify in spades, while pre-1850 itinerant painter portraits would definitely NOT.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When applied to furniture, seems sometimes to be synonymous with 'rustic'.

10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The problem is, you're asking your question to a forum of pretty knowledgable people, but the "US adverts online" you refer to are, by and large, not the same audience. So the answers you get here may be wildly different from those of a bunch of clueless eBay and etsy sellers.

Aquitaine, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I think primitive is in the eye of the beholder.
    As an example, the Betty lamps that were on here recently, most people would consider primitive, but they were pretty sophisticated for Betty lamps.

reader, Aquitaine, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as a catch phrase....rather than an accurate description..!

Primitive.....not to be confused with pre-historic..

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wow - am I way off.
    I always thought primitive meant simplistic, straight, clean lines. Such as Early American, Amish, or Farm furniture.
    I never associated it with art or home made items.

So I guess like all terms and expressions,, meanings change over time.

Guess I should add that I had noticed primitive is often used in today's world to describe rustic/rusty items.

Aquitaine, judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hashtag......:rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so it would come nigh to the continental non-academic ? academic was finally overcome by arts & crafts and Jugendstil. before that the bourgeoisie was invited to cheer the newest version of a roaring stag, only because the professor that had "painted" it had studied at a university :).

sabre123, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  16. Aquitaine

I do think that covers a ton of bases!!!!! Great descriptions ALL and I agree with all!! Grandma Moses sure made her mark!!! And at the moment the name of the carver escapes me (I'm sure @James Conrad will know!!) who has carved some VERY price "primitive" birds and eagles recently on the market. He had no formal training either.....I think it's a longish sounding German name!!!

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Earschplittenloudenboomer ?

18. Aquitaine

@Fid, thanks!! That was very cool!!! Haha......but not the guy!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I'll come up with it yet!!!

19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

????????
    Gee Wiz!:hilarious: What are you guys up to over here?

20. Aquitaine

Here"s the guy!!!

Wilhelm Schimmel's
    sculpture of an American eagle
    In 1782, the United States of America adopted the bald eagle as its national bird and symbol. Celebrated for its impressive wingspan, speed, agility, fortitude and elegance, the majestic creature not surprisingly became a major focus for artists of the nascent country.Sep 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted