Featured What does this say?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Pat P, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This appears near the bottom of the 15th century painting by a Netherlandish artist below. Is it Latin? Or Dutch? Does anyone know what it says?

words.JPG

The print is of the painting, "A Goldsmith in His Shop" by Petrus Christus, 1449, held by the Metropolitan Museum in NY. It's considered that the goldsmith is possibly Saint Eligius but, interestingly, in the original there isn't a halo above the goldsmith's head like there is in my print. I assume the publisher of the print decided to add the halo, which seems really odd to me.

painting.jpg

i need help, Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Latin. Dutch was only used by yokels in those years. second part reads "fecit a° 1449" directly translated "he made it in the year 1449" which is in modern use wrongly translated as "painted in XXXX".

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If they could write....
    There was no Dutch as such() in those days.
    The painter was born in Baarle, a village which now has the Dutch-Belgian border running right through it, and later moved to Bruges, which is now Belgium. He would have spoken his native Brabants, and learnt Flemish in Bruges. Both are now regarded as dialects of the Dutch language.

Present day 'high' Dutch is a mix of mostly Brabants and Hollands. It is commonly known as ABN (Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands).
    There is a language union between the Netherlands and Belgium, and we usually understand one another.;)

I won't be testing you on this.:hilarious:

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

There is a language union between the Netherlands and Belgium, and we usually understand one another

Can't really say the same for Belgium and Belgium.

Pat P, i need help, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Generally not much love lost between Belgium and Belgium.;) The third Belgium (German-speaking) doesn't want to get involved in the squabble.

Pat P, i need help, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Inscription: Signed and dated in white paint (bottom): m petr[vs] xpi me· ·fecit·ao 1449· (Master Petrus Christus made me in the year 1449) [with the artist's emblem, which resembles a clock escapement combined with a heart]

7. Bronwen

'The main figure in this enigmatic painting was long identified as Saint Eligius (the patron saint of goldsmiths) due to the presence of a halo, which was recognized as a later addition and subsequently removed.'

Pat P, i need help, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

I like the convex mirror to his left that gives him a wide angle view of the street outside his window.

9. Any Jewelry

Petrus Christus is said to have been influenced by Jan van Eyck, which is very likely.
    Van Eyck also used a convex mirror in his 1434 "Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and his wife". The mirror shows the painter himself, and the two required witnesses to the marriage ceremony.
    [​IMG]

10. Bronwen

Love the clogs/bath shoes, & their little dog too. (Margaret Hamilton voice.)

Pat P, pearlsnblume, judy and 4 others like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, everyone! Good to know the history of the halo... might make for an interesting description in my listing.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bronwen, did your source say when the halo was removed?

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Guess they've learned that people look at pictures more than they read, so, to learn some things, you have to expand sections to find the text. Because I'm used to wanting to know what the inscription is on an engraved gem, I knew where to look for this one.

Pat P and Fid like this.
  16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I used to read things very thoroughly, but need new glasses for closeup stuff, plus having other eye problems, so tend now to avoid extensive reading. I'm hoping when I get new glasses reading will be more comfortable again!

Fid and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

I've spent a lot of time this past year getting my eyes improved. Isn't it fortunate you can listen to info on this painting. Did you give it a try?

Pat P likes this.
  18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Not yet, but will do. :)

It's been frustrating because my glasses are expensive... need tri-focals with a coating that reduces light coming in in bright light... so I'm waiting to get them until other eye things are clarified and addressed. I have an appointment at the best place in Boston for eye issues in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that will move things along. I'd love to be able to read comfortably again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Bakersgma, Fid and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

All the best with it. I'm fortunate that my prescription is not complicated. Know it can be really hard to get it right when it is.

Fid and Pat P like this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bronwen. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted