What Happened to the Site Sterling Flatware Fashions and Facts

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Jun 26, 2021.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My bookmark to this site doesn't work any more. Is it gone? I clicked around on the error page and it looks like you can subscribe to it. Has anyone signed up and is there a fee? I really like it and would miss it if gone.

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy and ola402 like this.
  3. Bakersgma

I got there via the "HOME" button. Don't see anything about a pay wall or required subscription.

judy likes this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! That's the home page for the old service. I can move around and find most things, except the pattern names with photos and sometimes links to old catalog pages. I especially enjoyed the pages showing all the utensils and explaining what they were used for. I suspect that info may be behind the Research tab and you have to create a login to get there. Does it make me an old fart to always prefer the old way?

5. Bakersgma

I'll have to go look. I didn't test functionality before.

6. Bakersgma

Hmmm. Found the place to "subscribe." :( I'll have to ask how much they want for that and what you get in addition to the free pages.

The previous owner of the site must have sold it to the "Lieberman Antiques" referenced on on of the pages.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    judy and MrNate like this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma -

AWWW MANNNN!!!! :facepalm:

That was one of my go-to sites to ID flatware. :(:(

Let us know what you find out.

judy and MrNate like this.
  8. Bakersgma

I wrote them via the Contact Us link to get subscription details. I' ll let you know what they say.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thankfully I had the wherewithal to painstakingly download every single flatware image from the sterling flatware fashion flatware section. It took a good bit of time, and I didn't download them anticipating the site would go away. I realized how great the website was; even better was each small flatware pattern picture is named by the maker and the pattern. So I downloaded all the photos, and realized when I'm trying to match a pattern, it's MUCH faster to have a folder of all the images to scroll through (I can scan through the entire group in about 15 minutes) than clicking through pages organized by maker. I noticed last week the site wasn't working anymore, which is very sad...but luckily I still have the images.

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Good news! I got reply from Michelle Lieberman, assuring me that they are NOT converting the entire site to subscription - and "everything that was freely available before will still be available for free - including the entire patterns section. :)

They do intend to add an indepth research section regarding silversmiths, watchmakers, etc. which was not available before.

So you should all relax (including Mr Nate ;).) They are still working on it. (FYI the change became necessary because of technical changes outside of their control.)

judy, bercrystal and MrNate like this.
  11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D

Thanks for letting us know the happy news!! :happy::happy:

judy likes this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Whew! That's a relief. I just lost access to my free Worthpoint through the public library and I just couldn't take another hit!

judy and bercrystal like this.
  13. zarned

zarned New Member

Do you happen to have Michelle Lieberman's business contact information? I tried to submit my question to her via the website, but it says I need to use my account to submit the form. However, I see no information about creating an account. They had some advertisements from the Gold Rush in San Francisco in 1848 placed by our great-great-great-grandfather who was a watchmaker there during that time. But the link it no longer works! I'm trying to reach out to her to see if she still has access to it. Thanks for your help!

judy likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Sorry, I have no direct email addy for her. As I said above, I used the "Contact Us" link on the site. (Which as you have noted no longer works.)

judy likes this.
  15. Caro Tinley

Caro Tinley Member

I am so excited that you passed on the Silver flatware site. Thank you so much. It is going to be such a useful site. My bedtime reading for tonight.

bercrystal and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted