What Happens To Book Values When A Vintage Book Is Reprinted?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Joe2007, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Recently acquired a 1924 dated copy of the title pictured below and when doing a bit of searching found out that the book is indeed fairly scare but is being reprinted by a small specialty bookstore along with an assortment of other titles on local history. I was wondering how this impacts the value of the antique copy that I purchased and own if new copies are easily available.

Your thoughts?

Site with reprints.
    http://ohiobookstore.net/publications.html

My 1924 well worn copy in fair condition.
    book pioneers of night life on vine street frank grayson 1924.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

an old book is still an old book to collectors....even it new printings come along !!

Ghopper1924, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It depends. Collectors will still want first or early editions of some things. But if a book was sought after primarily for its content, reprints can substantially reduce the value of a scarce original copy.

4. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Reprints are not the same as the original editions. Your 1924 copy does not lose value because there are reprints, vintage or recent.
    In some cases, vintage reprints are quite valuable. A first edition dated 1880 or 1900 for example may be impossible to find, while a 1920s or 1930s reprint may still be possible to find, and quite valuable.
    Rarity of course plays a role on the value of a book in most cases; one of a run of 50, 100 copies will be more valuable than a copy from a run of 5,000. It also depends on the buyer; what may have little value to some people may be quite valuable to another, ex., a missing book in a series, set or collection.

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted