Featured What in the world is this called or used for?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Sep 14, 2019.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I've tried everything I could think of but still cannot come up with what it would be used as. It is ceramic and 24" tall Someone suggested flowers went in but how would you get water in and out or clean it? No hole in the top or bottom just on the things that stick out in every direction Any help is very much appreciated None of the info on the bottom led to anything. fullsizeoutput_305c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_305d.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

And to think, judging by the labeling, it comes in other colors. Happy thought.

3. Bronwen

Not for food, decoration only. You see that on painted plates & whatnot that are shaped like something you might eat from but are not food safe. What would look like this & be used for food service? Maybe it's a hotdog tree.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

table top flag holder..............?

5. Bronwen

Darth Vader's epergne?

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Can't be very old since the label shows a website address.

Could the 'holder' parts be big enough to hold 'test tubes' for water, like in this product?

edit: removed link because it didn't work.

Bronwen, scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It seems to be based on a Dutch tulip vase:

[​IMG]

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It looks like a thing that is in one of my neighbor's yard. You place colorful bottles on those posts (she uses wine bottles) and ta-da, instant home made art.

Bronwen, scoutshouse, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

amyjewelry, that appears to be correct. I've never seen a dutch tulip vase before. Mr. Google shows a lot of them and they are very pretty and interesting (unlike this one, IMHO).

Although with this one not having any holes for water drainage, perhaps it's for artificial flowers? Or do you just place a tulip in the hole, display it and wait for the flowers to wither?

I can see this as an artificial floral display very easily. Being black, it would stay in the background and you could go to town with whatever you wanted to place in the various holes. Might look pretty good.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the 'protrusions' are actually individual small vases. So each one can be filled with water separately.

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Or, one could dump the thing in a bathtub...

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  13. silverthwait

(Kinda looks like the south end of a cow...)

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry got it...

One of these caught my eye in the film "Emma" in Greta Saachi's home. From memory, it was polychrome and I wondered if it was Chinese.

A showstopper. Even in black, i think it's pretty cool.

15. Bronwen

I take the label that says 295 - BLK as meaning item 295 also comes in GRN, etc.

It sure does look like the tulip vase, but why would it need a warning not to use it for food?

UncleChuckTX and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

here's why.........maybe,:hilarious::hilarious:

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. silverthwait

The pink ones are best. And you don't need sugar.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. silverthwait

Some idiotic temptations just cannot be resisted.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

A footless champagne flute rack?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Bronwen and gauntlettgems like this.
  20. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Thank you for all of the responses! I love the idea of a hotdog stand. Lol. I’ve never seen the tulip holder before. I’m off to google some more.

You guys are the best.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted