What in the world is this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by sassafras, Sep 19, 2018.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

This is another bizarre nugget from our family member's estate. Her husband was a TV producer (sports) for decades and won several Emmy awards among others. We think this is a TBS broadcasting award of some kind, but don't know what it's for. On the other hand, they had great senses of humor and it could be commemorating a drunken night in Tokyo. :wacky:

Pretty sure it's Japanese, but I didn't see anyone listed to tag on the translation thread DSCN8573_27556.JPG DSCN8575_27558.JPG DSCN8576_27559.JPG DSCN8577_27560.JPG .

i need help likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's a Shinto Shimenawa sacred rope.

3. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

4. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Aha! Thank you both. This type of sumo belt is worn by the yokozuna (grand champion) and is called a tsuna.

Guess it was presented to him by TBS for his work on a sumo tournament? Although, a drunken night in Tokyo is still possible. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted