What is it and how, when and where was it used.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hamptonauction, Oct 5, 2020.

1. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I purchased this several years ago, nobody knew what it was. It is marked on the old auction tag PB eighty-four (Parke Bernet) I believed that it's a division of Sotheby's, I emailed several times and I received no replies.
    It measures 16" (40.6cm) tip to tip and the 9 figures measure 5.5" (14cm) long x .75" (2cm) square.
    No one has been able to tell me what it is, and how it was used, any help would be appreciated. TIA @komokwa @tapou @Any Jewelry ...........
    Andre

9 men 1.jpg 9 men 2.jpg 9 men 3.jpg 9 men 5.jpg 9 men 6.jpg 9 men 4.jpg 9 men 7.jpg

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help. I have seen them before though. Maybe @2manybooks knows?:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

hamptonauction and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

unknown to me........:sorry:

6. hamptonauction

7. hamptonauction

I agree, that it would be inappropriate for the figures to be hanging upside down.
    Yes, they are simply carved, but important enough to be sold at a PB auction. The mystery would be solved if I could find the PB auction catalog, and read how it was listed.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You could try a search for "Parke-Bernet Galleries catalog", but you would have to wade through however many turn up, looking for ones that featured tribal or Asian art. Presumably it should date before they were bought by Sotheby's in 1964, but might still appear as just Parke-Bernet up to the mid 1970s.

9. hamptonauction

Thank you, 2manybooks, I will try searching again.

Draft saved Draft deleted