What is the name of this chair please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Branka, May 12, 2021.

1. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Good day. Can you please tell me what is the name of this chair? It’s short chair, seating area is very wide. I don’t think it’s old, maybe just made to look old. Anything that you can tell me about it? Appreciate your feedback. Have a wonderful day. 91BFB0D0-BC3B-4764-B744-181EC6712E0C.jpeg 189174BB-433B-4CC2-8D75-76CB730BD299.jpeg E9F20FF8-F3A7-4DA7-B150-50597B89A722.jpeg

2. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It's got the back of a Windsor chair (you can call it that, since it's its most visible feature), which is at odds with the quinze cabriole front legs--themselves at odds with the regency/empire saber back legs-- and the drop in seat (not shown in pic). If that wasn't enough, the seat rail looks more neoclassical or seize. By the castors, one can say it was meant as a library chair of sorts (another thing you can call it and would be right, since it concerns function rather than style).
    Not old, no, not very valuable, and (to me) ugly as they come, but pay no attention to that. What matter is if it's comfortable, fits the décor, and you like it.

3. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Thanks for your assessment. The wheels are marked “sun caster Japan”. That confirms it’s a newer chair. It has broken leg, so I’ll think about it.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

captain's chair ?

5. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I thought about that too. After further examination I determined that this chair is newer and nothing special about it. Wood frame was machined, mass production. But! I think I’ll keep it for awhile. Every time I restore something I have hard time parting from it. Will post the photo of the finished chair shortly ;)

6. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Tadaaa. Fixed broken leg, improved security, put new fabric, washed the wood. I initially thought what an ugly chair, not that bad. I like it, keeping it for awhile 5B78802C-A9C3-468E-8346-611C2E027E44.jpeg 140EEB66-621F-4121-B847-EAC27B2201AB.jpeg

BoudiccaJones, Lilly_Ann and Fid like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

is that a Keith Haring fabric ?

8. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Made by Rodolph inc, California. Not sure of the fabric name. I purchased two yards at the thrift store for $3, original tag has mfg name and markings for what’s back and what front side. Good quality, strong, nice design with the velvet. That’s where I buy most of my fabric for chairs

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted