What is the proper name for these photo cards?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Lizzie, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

They are all from Germany. I'm pretty sure the last two are RPPCs. The others are smaller and on heavy stock.

These three are 4" x 2 1/4". I am posting the back of the military one, because although it's too light to be read, it does give a date 1907-1909. The fifth picture is what is on the back of the other two, the photography studio. The sixth picture is blank on the back and is 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" and picture after her is what is on the bottom of her picture. DSCN0685 (2).JPG DSCN0574 (2).JPG DSCN0575 (3).JPG DSCN0681 (2).JPG

DSCN0589 (2).JPG DSCN0589 (2).JPG DSCN0676 (2).JPG DSCN0677 (2).JPG

Attached Files:

2. Lizzie

Somehow the photos got out of order. And the one with lady with head covering and book posted twice. Sorry about that. The back of that one has a readable date 1918 and I think a name above the word mutter which I know is mother. DSCN0676 (2).JPG

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Carte de Visite, abbreviated CdV,

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

6. Lizzie

I thought maybe CDV but the size confused me. Thank so much.

7. Lizzie

I though the two largest were RPPC because the backs are set up like a postcard with lines for the address on the right and space for a message on the left.

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

9. Lizzie

Thanks for the help in searching. I checked the first link and will check the second one tomorrow. On my way out for the evening now.

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Just as a point of information, the making of CDVs extended well into the early 20th century in Europe. In the United States their use was pretty much done by 1890. Since you mentioned they are from Germany, some could be from the 19th century and some from the 20th.

2manybooks likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Thanks everyone!

Fig-There are handwritten dates on the back of couple of them. The man in the uniform one says 1907 and one other one is marked 1918.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted