What is the stone in these silver earrings? Turquoise?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by journeymagazine, May 18, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These are some of a box of earrings I found in a larger box of jewelry that was my mom's. What is the stone in the earrings? I first thought turquoise but I'm not 100% sure so I thought it'd be best to check with you guys before I listed them on eBay & then would have to refund the buyer their money & get a bad feedback for them not being as described!
    Thanks
    PS - Bottom photo/photos are of some of the other earrings in the box - My favorites are the cowboy/western themed ones (especially bottom row - the little Deputy US Marshall badges!) + some that are more dressy.
    They all say Sterling Silver & Made in Mexico (but sterling is sterling - 925 - right?)
    Any idea what year these are from?
    Thanks for the help!

JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & TURQUOISE A GROUP 1AZZZ.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & TURQUOISE A GROUP 2AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & TURQUOISE A GROUP 3AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & TURQUOISE A GROUP 4AA.JPG

BELOW ARE THE WESTERN THEMED EARRINGS I LIKE + THE ONES THAT ARE MORE FORMAL THAN FUN?

JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & WESTERN COWBOY STYLES 1AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & WESTERN COWBOY STYLES 3AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER & WESTERN COWBOY STYLES 4AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS SILVER REMAING STERLING HANDCRAFTED EARRINGS 1AA.JPG

KSW likes this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hum.... Except on bottom middle crosses earrings, nothing similar to any turquoise:joyful:
    Google abalone;)

KSW, komokwa, stracci and 5 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, abalone shell.
    I think those could be malachite?

KSW, komokwa and stracci like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I see abalone, green malachite and black onyx.

I'd guess late 80s into early 90s, especially the SW ones. Very like stuff I was buying in AZ then.

KSW, komokwa, stracci and 2 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did your mother have a store of some kind?
    Looks like backstock that she had left over.

Oh wait, she sold at music shows?

All of what I see is saleable in the right setting.

KSW likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very saleable - $10 to $20 a pair, perhaps a little more. The conchos are cute.

KSW, komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  7. MCStevenson

MCStevenson New Member

The iridescent material is abalone - as another member said, not turquoise.

KSW, kyratango, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think that one swoopy pair is lapis, but .. not a turquoise in the bunch.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the bottom pic is stuff u find at pow wows....I've even sold some.....but they said Indian Handmade on the tag..

kyratango likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

As soon as you said abalone I knew that was it - thanks - I just drew a blank & the only thing that came to mind was turquoise; which is why I asked!
    My mom never had a store - she probably bought them all out at a estate/garage sale (like mother like son!)
    komokwa - do you mean the very last pic (that I said was ... dressier) or the last pic with the abalone earrings?
    Thanks all I appreciate the help!

KSW likes this.
  11. komokwa

12. journeymagazine

I didn't think they were western/Indian related - especially the crosses - thanks!

KSW likes this.
  13. komokwa

well, they are,,,, specially the ones on the right..

conchos...
    upload_2020-5-19_13-24-43.jpeg

and the crosses.....

upload_2020-5-19_13-27-40.jpeg

reader and kyratango like this.
  14. evelyb30

...and don't tell me where to find that concho belt. I'm listening to a vlog about temptation.(LOL)

KSW likes this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

You can definitely call them western and southwestern. Don’t call them Indian or Native American if you’re selling them on the internet.

The equilateral crosses are not Christian crosses.

kyratango likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

17. komokwa

I think you could get away with Navajo style...
    or, Southwest Indian Style...

18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Respectfully, that depends on where they’re being sold. Neither Navajo or Indian can be used on the internet in the US. Those terms with “style” are keyword spam. Yes people use them but they’re reportable on ebay and should be as they bottom feed on those searching legit Navajo or American Indian items. To list anything as Navajo or Indian on the internet LEGALLY (in the US-I know nothing about other countries) one has to know the artist’s name as well as the tribe unless the item is pre 1935 according to law. Although I would expect that these items could easily be NA there are tons of Anglo jewelers in Albuquerque e.g. churning out this stuff for the tourist trade, If the items are unsigned they cannot be NA attributed.

Yes, people break that law all the time but as posters on a help board I personally feel that we should never encourage that behavior. Apologies for lecturing but this is a subject I feel strongly about and will always fight against search manipulation and illegal terminology.

19. evelyb30

Amen. I hate keyword spam. Sometimes it's done out of necessity, i.e. calling D&E costume jewelry Juliana because "everyone else is doing it" and has so long there's no point in fighting it. In this case all it does is cheese off anyone looking for legit Navajo jewelry. These are Southwestern Souvenir jewelry pieces and can't be listed as anything else safely. Ebay lets all sorts of things slide, but they always seem to nail the little guy instead of the jerk selling thousands of the copies.

reader likes this.
  20. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted