Featured what is this art technique? - two sided clear glass, threaded asian composition

Discussion in 'Art' started by capitulation, Oct 13, 2019.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

Hi - I picked this up at my local junk shop for $2 and am trying to identify the technique used. It appears to be a kind of threaded work when I look at it under the magnifying glass. Its so perfectly done I find it hard to believe it could have been hand done, but I have no idea. Its residing in a piece of glass thats clear on both sides.

The composition looks Japanese to me - but interested to hear more expert opinions. It has no signature. In the bottom shot Im holding it up to the light - it has very beautiful grey shaded tones to it and almost shimmers when its backlit.

Thanks much antiquers!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ef6.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ef7.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9efb.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9f01.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9f09.jpg

2. capitulation

Now Im starting to wonder if that is a signature/mark on the shingle on the house in the front...

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

4. Jivvy

Let me add: I think. From what I can see. ;)

5. Jivvy

*squinting*

Does that really say $2.00? If yes... *so jealous*

6. capitulation

Thank you for your response, jivvy. You have been so helpful to me in this and my last post. The work has a "shimmering" appearance, and silk would make sense to give it that highly reflective, optic appearance. Looking at the link you provided I can see how this might be produced by hand on an apparatus (loom?) like the one depicted. I will read up more on this...

7. capitulation

Yes, I couldnt believe it was $2.00 either. And normally the thrift shop I was at prices all junk "art" from big box stores at $8.00 and up...definitely mispriced.

kyratango, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Jivvy

*soooo jealous* :joyful:

9. Jivvy

Think of it more as a very large embroidery hoop. ;)

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's BEAUTIFUL !!! ... Joy. :):):)

11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Gives such a time and place - beautiful!

Well picked :)

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  12. capitulation

Thanks. For some reason the thrifting art gods have been taking care of me lately. Personally I find as the weather gets colder the competition goes way down...which is just fine with me ;)

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted