What is this? Beadwork on velvet

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by J Dagger, Aug 24, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

0D9D8DCE-2EB7-4243-9204-38E1E04E6966.jpeg 5BB74166-A3FF-4508-816D-3262F5041C3B.jpeg Grabbed this at an estate sale just because it looked nice. No clue what it is or was. Beadwork reminded me a bit of Iroquois. Can’t imagine they used much velvet or velour or whatever this is. Any ideas? Just a practice piece? Not really important, just curious. Little over a foot long.

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not any native design that i know of.....pretty though..:happy:

judy and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

Figured not, thanks for confirming! It is pretty!

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If the outer row of beads are AB it was put together after 1955.
    greg

J Dagger and judy like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No clue who made this. I think it’s really pretty too but just wanted to address that there was plenty of velvet used by NA tribes. I have a beaded Ojibwa velvet pillow and love the Navajo velvet shirts.

6. J Dagger

I was unfamiliar with the term. Now that I’m not I’m gonna say they probably are AB. Those are the ones I didn’t think looked very old to begin with so pat on the back for me.

judy and gregsglass like this.
  7. J Dagger

Great to know! Now that I’m thinking about it more I think maybe I see velvet pin cushions with native beadwork sometimes.

judy likes this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I sold a Niagara falls Iroquois beaded pincushion on velvet on Etsy. Mine was older but they still make them .

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this......
    upload_2020-8-29_15-46-45.jpeg

ain't what the OP has...

judy and reader like this.
  10. J Dagger

Nope. I did make a reference to them though, so I think Lark was just sharing her example.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted