Featured What is this? Brass doves/pigeons with clip and hook

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Jan 21, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

7702FA65-727C-428A-B553-F6A1F66F3BFD.jpeg 0062F70D-1836-4A44-A320-518CF675B77D.jpeg I bought this in the spring and have yet to determine what it is. Some type of brooch or hair clip maybe I guess? Please explain what the hook is for! I saw one on something recently and was so relieved, then I forgot where, when, why, and how I saw it. Got it for a couple bucks and thought it looked interesting enough to bring home for that. I assumed it came from the Middle Eastish area for some reason. How far off am I?

KikoBlueEyes, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a pendant for sure....and maybe the clip holds it down to the clothing...

or so i'd think..

J Dagger and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a hair barrette with a hook that fastens it to a headdress or scarf.
    I think you are right.:)
    I could be wrong, but it looks Kurdish to me. Kurdistan is roughly the region where the northern Middle East meets Asia Minor (Turkey).
    Most Kurdish women's headdresses comsist of a small pillbox type hat with a scarf. The top of the pillbox hat is decorated with a metal disc with dangles on chains attached to it. I can see this barrette playing a role in the general head-hair decoration.

It reminds me a bit of this Kurdish silver and niello belt buckle with birds, Lake Van, eastern Turkey:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i didn't see the bale is actually a hook.......i was wrong....:(

J Dagger likes this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

69A263E3-8B61-4C4F-96BE-F5CEB363E085.jpeg 7B45E4A6-DE7E-4908-8BFE-C1A85CFFF605.jpeg

Thanks! You helped me get it! After some more digging I’ve found it’s a Kuchi Tikka. Possibly Hazara not Kuchi. Both are nomadic tribes from Afghanistan/Pakistan area. Lots of belly dancers wear them it turns out. It’s a forehead pendant that hooks and clips into the hair or whatever headdress you have on!

patd8643 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oh wonderful!:) Yes, Hazara or related makes sense. Those twin birds are very popular in Central Asia as well.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted