What is this bronze vessel ... Chinese? ... Signed Yi Zhen!!

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Touchdry, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a small bronze container possibly for incense tools? Is it Qing Dynasty?

Don't get too excited but it is signed Yi Zhen! ... Oh really? Not THAT Yi Zhen, surely? Perhaps one of his 'off' days?

A similar vessel, with the same decoration and simple shape, has been described as a "Chinese antique copper vase - works of the Ming Dynasty - Hand-carved banana pattern, on four sides, used to store incense tools, belonging to the study room".

Another vessel, almost identical, has been described as an Arrow vase. This may be because the same pattern can be seen on some of the ancient "touhu" vases.

As for the mark on the base - it reads "Yi Zhen".

It stands 17.5cm/6.75 inches high. The widest diameter is 7cm/2.75 inches.

But can anyone tell me what this actually is?

i need help likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Based on the cast signature I would say this is a decorative and a more modern-ish piece.

i need help likes this.
  3. Touchdry

Mmm ... you're probably right ... someone has said that it is a 1920ish piece ... and 'decorative'? Yes, I can go along with that too. Thanks for the input blooey

i need help likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

i need help and Touchdry like this.
  5. Touchdry

OK ... for the tourist trade then? ... Suppose I could melt it down and make something myself (all I need is a furnace!!)

BoudiccaJones and i need help like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Yes, I would say so. A souvenir of a visit to the museum perhaps?

i need help likes this.
  7. Touchdry

Thanks for that Jeff Drum ... we may be speaking again ... I'll be posting my other "find" tomorrow ... stay tuned - and keep calm until then ...

i need help likes this.