Featured What is this called and how exactly is it used.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Aug 25, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I go this at a store for a very good price, but both the store and I dont know what it is called and/or how it is used.

Guessing they put hot water in the bottom to keep the tea/coffee/?? Hot or maybe just decorative?

He believed it to be Moroccan?

CAF5B2F3-90DD-4E48-8D3C-566581CD326B.jpeg 6C5FDFD7-2F6E-4E56-BCB2-9E9601A383E5.jpeg DF6AD8D4-5840-421A-ACAA-13AEA695FB03.jpeg F7AA5099-C9C4-4B1B-9FB3-521E0659BA13.jpeg

AJefferson, komokwa, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lovely !
    great colors..

judy, Christmasjoy and mmarco102 like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Anyjewelry will know about this Im thinking. :)

4. seaweed treasures

seaweed treasures Active Member

I love it! Nice find!

Christmasjoy and mmarco102 like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Samovar. Beautiful colors.

6. mmarco102

Thanks all, I love the detailed work colores and stones too.

I will dig into that Samovar, thank you INH.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  7. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Superb!! The local auction bidders would go dipstick crazy for that.

8. i need help

I’m not sure how yours works compared to others, try Persian.

9. i need help

@Barn Owl, would this be considered a samovar?

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl and mmarco102 like this.
  10. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks as though there isn't a spout/spigot in the bottom portion? If the lower portion was meant to heat water, I would imagine that there would also either be an inner chamber for the coal or a place for a gas burner.

Also, the inner enamel appears decorative, making me wonder if instead it is a bowl meant to store food to be served with the tea?

Either way, it is absolutely beautiful! Are there any hallmarks or writing on it?

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a samovar / tea set....but I don't see the lower spout ???

Turkish...Persian....???

Sniped by that 'ol barn Owl !!!!!!!!!

12. mmarco102

The more I study this piece, the more I am fascinated by it. The holes in the lower lid obviously kept the tea warm directly under the pot as well as the holes on the outer part kept the air surounding the pot warm as well. The lid has a “S-figure swirl mark on it near the edge and the lower bowl a mark as well on its rim. The lid only fits in perfectly when the marks are lined up(the lid is a imperfect circle that wont sit well if they dont line up. The lid is also hand hammered, not casted. The workmanship to make this is beautiful everywhere handles, bowl, lid and the metal(thinking tin and pewter) design.

I would love to get a perioad guesstamit.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. i need help

Hopefully we will all get educated on this by someone. It’s a beautiful and interesting piece!

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Any Jewelry !!!!!! Are you just going to bed??? OR are you maybe just getting up???? Your expertise is NEEDED here!!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

That should get her.........................................eventually!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::D:D

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BTW!!!! L O V E THE COLORS on your piece, @mmarco102!!!:):):)

16. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This is just my opinion, but this doesn't look like any kind of samovar that I've ever seen.

17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

If the piece has glass enamel it is not possible to be tin or pewter.Photos with better lighting and close ups of details may help.

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't believe I slept through that!:shame::hilarious::hilarious:

@mmarco102, the seller was right, it is Moroccan. It is typical for Safi, a city on the central Atlantic coast. Safi is an important ceramics centre, famous for colourful pottery. The bowls on your teapot combo are ceramic. Safi teapots usually have those metal brackets with typical Berber style decorations. I guess the bottom pot is for hot coals, and maybe the extra holes around the edge serve to warm teacups.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2018
  19. mmarco102

First off, @Any Jewelry you are amazing. Thank you for Identifying this piece. Not many examples online, and none with the lower base. I dont think the lower basin was used for coals(well at least not this one), as it is to clean and undamaged. Unless this one is for decorative purpose but I see to much functionality for that. Could it just be for pouring boiling hot water, where the original owner did not want burning coals inside of home(????). Struggling to find a Safi teapot with warmer. They seem very rare or at least in my part of the woods. Any opinion on the age? The only one I saw for sale stated vintage.

@Hollyblue, As AJ stated, both bowls are ceramic. I am uploading close up images as requested as I still would like to known more from you and others. Thank you for your attention.

Can anyone identify the stones, the metal or approximate age?
    Pic 4, has a brass knob for the lid. Normal or repaired original?
    Pic 5, this crackle is throughout the pot.
    Pic 6, inside pot and hole for spout.
    Pic 7, these two markings(only markings) need to line up for the lid to fit, else it sits crooket and awkward.
    pic 8, inside lower base.

Thanks everyone for enjoying this piece.

94768699-1450-41B9-93D7-2359C3BF1DEA.jpeg 2139B01F-F495-4E5C-B1F2-0BE9E8D5F064.jpeg F3D770DC-7F9E-4DE6-A23E-5F97B96ACE38.jpeg C14A4EE6-E247-46E0-8286-A0089A2A2B23.jpeg AB6A1394-ED03-42CF-8B30-1D9EBBEDDF85.jpeg FE60C300-5962-4E54-8082-253E3E35D100.jpeg E29D6223-87D6-4D76-A343-110E825C0A96.jpeg 6F2D0C9A-A753-4E17-96EF-90475B0CAEBF.jpeg AC17E0FF-B42B-4CCA-B740-D3FFEA952DF6.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    komokwa, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you for the compliment, and it was a pleasure. I have never seen them with the bottom part either. A Safi teapot is pretty rare, the combo is even rarer, it seems.

The stones are glass, imitation turquoise and coral, two protective stones in Berber culture. The stones are mainly protective because of their colours, so glass serves the same purpose.
    Many cultures have this appreciation for red and blue stones.

Draft saved Draft deleted