What is this Cast Iron Figurine and how do I research it?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bonnie l Roggensees, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Seems your "Cast Iron" Is actually Bronze?? Does a magnet stick?

judy and i need help like this.
  2. I didn't buy it. It's at a community thrift store. I just wanted to research it and didn't know how to. What words would you use?

judy likes this.
  3. Is a native American female? What search terms can I use to look it up so I can figure out what it is and if it's worth how much they asked?

judy and KSW like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be helpful if you posted better quality photographs or even just a full one of the figure.

Debora

judy, KSW, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Debora and Roaring20s like this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's about 6" tall.
    What are they asking for it?

Liking it, I would get for up to $50.
    That's assuming it is not missing anything.

If you're looking to flip it and are unsure about it, you did the right thing by walking away from it.

I searched for 10 minutes finding nothing like it, using; bronze, statue, seated, female etc.

judy, KSW and i need help like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That curly hair does not look native American to me. What's on her head?

judy, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. gregtheelder

gregtheelder Active Member

Hi,
    Reminds me of a clock topper. Looks like a spelter piece with a bronze finish.
    greg

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  9. It is curly. Lol. It's headdress of sorts with feathers. Or maybe leaves. No top just bottom. Base is oval made to look like wood like a barrel of sorts. I just want to know what it is because it's kind of unusual and is it part of something else like the other comment said I clock topper or is it an individual piece I don't know it just was kind of out of place during that little small town thrift store and I do mean thrift store and I was just curious what it was and kind of wanted to know more and couldn't figure it out so I'm thinking maybe it's part of something else.

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. What do you mean it might be a clock topper? I'm showing my ignorance about these kind of antiques? Could you explain a little bit further and is it a useful piece to have or is it just kind of junk since it's part of something that it's not with anymore? They were asking I think 15 for it and that was a lot because most items in the store are like $3 or less LOL. Thanks

judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Hmm, good point.........if you can make a small, inconspicuous scratch on the bottom - yellowish metal, then bronze/brass - if silver/white, then a spelter type (zinc alloy)

12. Thank you for replying. I had the same problem that's why it intrigued me because I couldn't find it so that's why I asked the experts. They are asking $15 for it and it is super super heavy. The little thrift store is in a very small town and most items are $3 so it's a little bit pricier which doesn't mean it's more valuable it's just what they put on it. I think I'm going to go back today before I go substitute teach and check it out and take another picture or two and look at the base and just see if I can find anything else out because I'm really curious now that no one seems to know what it is. Some of the other comments mentioned a spelter piece so you have any other ideas let me know I just kind of don't want to know what it is.

13. Ok. I may try that. Good excuse to go back to the little thrift store before work today LOL

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

For $15 I would grab it. I would use it for displaying antique jewelry at an antique show :)

judy, Bronwen and Janice Nicholls like this.
  15. Okay sounds like good advice! I just really want to know what it is though darn it but some things you just may never know but sounds like it's worth it a lot more than 15 and I like to at least triple my money if I get it at the thrift stores you know so and I do like the figures. I don't really do antique shows or anything or have a booth or anything I'm just kind of a person who likes you to collect things totally useless but cool things. Hopefully it's still there I can't imagine it being gone but you never know thank you.

16. Hi

I am here at store. It has a slight dink on headdress. Bottom is flat and smooth. I can upload photos here. What do you all think?

judy, lovewrens and Bronwen like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

grab it......... unless you live in a box....15 bucks is not an unreasonable risk for an interesting item

18. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  19. It's a statue pretty sure. It has some dings on the headdress. I'll send some photos. I'm in as small apt. I may go back next week. Lol thanks everyone.

Bronwen likes this.