What is this Chinese brick?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, May 11, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_4275.JPG IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4277.JPG IMG_4278.JPG Any idea what that is?
    Not sure what it is made of. Heavy, soft and easy to scratch, so maybe lead or so. Or pure silver?

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've seen ink sticks, a block of dried and compressed ink; you shave off a bit, dissolve in water to make ink. The ones I've seen were black, but maybe they can also be painted gold; maybe that adds interesting gold flecks to the ink......
    Those are soft and easy to scratch, but pretty light-weight.
    You don't say, but maybe imply, that this might be metal.
    Is this metal? How big? Magnetic?
    Example of ink-stick:

ink stick.jpg

judy likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I doubt silver, LEAD is soft and heavy,
    If lead - a new scratch will reveal bright silver color

judy likes this.
  4. all_fakes

And of course, if it is metal, it is obviously not an ink stick.
    But here is an example of a gold-colored ink stick (reputedly circa 1862, when they were often included in British water-color sets):

ink stick.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

Bout the size of ink stick. Metal, scratch reveals silver color.

Rayo56 likes this.
  6. all_fakes

Not ink then; does seem like lead would be a good possibility.....maybe a weight? Maybe someone can translate.

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

True, Maybe some kind of standard weight for a weigh scale - if it was just an ingot for melting I question why is was colored gold.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Could it be funeral money? It was a Chinese custom to burn hell bank notes at a funeral to ensure the departed a rich after life with the shades of the ancestors. It was also known to burn paper goods for the comfort of the shade of the dead. A gold coloured lead bar would be in this spirit, for some reason the ancestors were assumed to be highly gullible, unable to tell the fake from the real.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+funeral+money

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not a clue but try tael bar.

10. all_fakes

Good clue, SIS. Though I can't read it, the bottom three characters appear to be the same as on this (reputed) 50 tael silver ingot seen on pinterest. No idea why one would paint a silver ingot gold, though, seems a bit strange.

pic2.jpg

50 tael silver ingot.jpg

11. kardinalisimo

Not gold color, poor images.It's grayish. I'll clean it and take better photos

12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

You never did tell us the weight - unless I missed it along the readings. If it is silver then you should have a mark on the bar stating it's fineness. But need to interpret the Chinese markings

13. kardinalisimo

Still in the trunk :) Will tell you weight soon. If silver, it has to be 999 because it's too soft.

14. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Most silver content was .925 at the most as adding extra metals into the silver made it more durable (harder) for items - .999 was really developed for coinage and collectible bars as the smelting process is more invoved.

15. kardinalisimo

IMG_4294.JPG IMG_4295.JPG IMG_4296.JPG IMG_4297.JPG About 850 grams, 7 1/2" long.

judy likes this.
  16. paleblue

paleblue New Member

Maybe i can help with the translation (yes, i know Chinese). The engraving says it is from Taiwan when it was a province of ancient China. It is Silver bar (used as money) 50 tael.

1 ancient tael is equal to 34g. so maybe you can tell from the weight if it could be silver? Or maybe get it tested?

One thing doesn’t make sense to me is that the name on the back actually refers to a place in mainland china. I don’t know why.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  17. paleblue

paleblue New Member

If it was the real thing it suppose to be 50x34g=1700g?

18. kardinalisimo

Thanks a lot with the translation. Is it sure that this is 50 teal but not less, maybe 25? Does it say somewhere how much it is?

19. paleblue

paleblue New Member

yes, i am afraid it does say 50 tael. :(

20. kardinalisimo

Well.. I'll try at least to test it for silver.
    Btw, are the characters Traditional or Simplified?

Draft saved Draft deleted