What is this colorful hairy wooden mask?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Nikolai S, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Nikolai S

Nikolai S New Member

Hello! I would really appreciate any pointers on what the origin of this wonderful mask is.
    It's quite small (15 cm tall, 14 cm wide) and the "ears" are loosely attached to the head with string. The hair is quite coarse, it feels like it might be animal hair, but I'm not sure.
    The string on the back that unites the "ears" with the head was already being held in place with a paperclip when I purchased it, presumably to make it possible to hang the mask from a wall.

_DSC0005.jpg _DSC0010.jpg _DSC0011.jpg _DSC0016.jpg _DSC0018.jpg _DSC0024.jpg

Any ideas?
    Thank you!

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Better tag @Any Jewelry before this thread slips off the latest list.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the Indonesian masks my parents brought back 1950’s. But I’m no expert : -)

Houseful, aaroncab and Nikolai S like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Nikolai S

Nikolai S New Member

Wow! I think you're right, those are strikingly similar. Especially the one in the center of the image you attached. The eyebrows, the red cheeks and the eye shape are pretty much identical. Thank you so much!! :)

i need help and 2manybooks like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a Chinese Di Opera mask. It looks more folksy than either Peking Opera or Indonesian masks from the Javanese influenced regions.
    Di Opera is one of the many regional theatre styles and older than the classic Peking Opera.

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It looks like a tiger mask, to me.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be. Or maybe a mythical being.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted