WHAT IS THIS MICKEY MOUSE PRINT(?) SIGNED WALT DISNEY ON PLASTIC SHEET? CELL?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 3, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store & thought it was a older Micky Mouse print (signed Walt Disney, not Walt Disney Inc. etc...) - until the frame came apart & I saw that it was on a thin plastic sheet?
    You can see it's been in the frame for awhile from where the yellowing ends.
    What is it? Movie cell?
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT MICKEY MOUSE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT MICKEY MOUSE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT MICKEY MOUSE 4AA.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I dunno, but Minnie looks like she's about to go 'tail over teapot'!!!! We have friends who have a couple of framed Disney Cells and they paid around $500 each many years ago for them......that's all I know about them other than they CAN be pricey! Can you figure out what comic or movie it might be from???

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. journeymagazine

My thought was Steamboat Mickey - but that's because it's the only early Mickey Mouse movie/cartoon I know!

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

First, it's not "signed" by Walt himself. That's just a copyright.

The round thing next to Minnie looks like a radio microphone. Maybe that will help with what this scene appeared in.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

And with Mickey hanging from a trapeze, maybe something related to a circus?

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Buried in the wiki pages about the history of Mickey, there is mention of a 1931 short called "The Barnyard Broadcast." But it's just in a massive list of movies featuring Mickey and Minnie without a link to more detailed info or clips. Seems a very likely possibility though, since both Mickey and Minnie are drawn on your "cell" in their early forms and clothing, not the redesigned ones we are more familiar with.

7. journeymagazine

That does sound like it - I will look
    PS - I know it's not his signature, I meant it more likely made it an earlier piece because it wasn't signed/printed with a Disney corporate name
    Thanks Bakersgma - now to find out what exactly it is!

Christmasjoy, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Not That one - I just watched it on youtube & no trapeze in it.
    Ah well, back to the hunt!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Going from memory - too lazy in this heat to do more - think it was 'Steamboat Willie'?

komokwa, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Original cartoon cels were made on transparent sheets, so they could be layered over the background drawings. Yours seems to be on a different material.

judy and Jivvy like this.
  12. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

It's more then likely a seri-cel . a reprint of an old cel. Back in the 80's and 90's they were printinga lot of them to sell at the Disney stores. an original cel would have holes and scene numbers along the bottom.

Edit: Most Disney Sericels were marked as such with an edition size and number printed. this could be a serigraph.......

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    judy, Bakersgma, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  13. journeymagazine

It measures 18" x 15" and is on a white/milky white plastic sheet. It bends some but I feel like it would snap if bent to far (feels kinda brittle)
    Does size help tell what it is?
    Thanks all

Draft saved Draft deleted