Featured What is this printing technique on this glass dish?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sedona, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

To all,

When I was going through my late mother’s things earlier this year, I come across three-footed glass dish (candy dish). I don’t think it’s particularly expensive (it has seams at the bottom), but it seemed relatively old (as I recall, it had belonged to my grandmother). I am guessing my grandmother got it in the 1940s-50s, but at the very latest it would have been acquired before the mid 1960s.

It has a painted silver rim and a floral design inside (printed, not painted). The design is on the inside looking out, so if you’re looking at the dish from the side, you’d see the back of the design. I thought this design was odd, as you’d think it would be printed on the outside, as the things inside the bowl would obscure (and potentially scratch) the design.

Does this printing technique have a name? Also, any idea as to the age or maker of the dish? My mother and grandmother were in New England, USA.

Thanks, everyone!

B5AE765A-E8DC-4879-BF8D-5BE4B0328820.jpeg 339D6324-8E0A-435E-9431-D40F8EB0A3A6.jpeg

42DF0D25-294F-4996-B99D-A8CB0EF7F28F.jpeg B4D2CD9E-ECFB-4CEB-B4A0-5E18551A3786.jpeg

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Silver overlay is absolutely the term. Get a Sunshine cloth and gently clean it.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Actually, strictly speaking, this is silver deposit.

Silver overlay is silver that is worked to conform to the shape of the glass. It is thicker and not attached to the glass, you can get a finger nail under it.

Silver deposit is attached to the glass like paint. It is very thin and if you look from the inside, you will see white behind silver deposit.

Looking at eBay, they use silver overlay for both, it has become the accepted term, but it is not accurate :(

Siblye likes this.
  5. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. That is very helpful. It still seems odd to put the decoration on the inside.

I have never heard of Viking glass or Rockwell, either, so that is great information. The link indicates 1950s, which seems correct.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted