What is this silver mark?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by jollyrancher, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

There seems to be copper showing through, so I'm assuming it's silver over copper? Mark is a hammer with an "a" on one end and a "c" on the other?
    Who made this? All help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have no idea, but I like it!

I am surprised that nobody has replied yet. Maybe the silver experts will be drilopping by soon.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

drilopping??? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I am "dropping" by (apropos of the rain that has been falling here all day) to say that my best guess - and it really is a total guess - would be French silverplate (or perhaps Belgian?) Normally a French maker's mark for plated goods would be square, but I have seen a few that are not, so that's the basis for my guess.

The other reason is that French marks often have the initials on either side of a central "device." I was unable to find an AC with a hammer (or gavel) on either of the 2 ID sites I looked at, but that doesn't mean much.

Figtree3 and afantiques like this.
  4. Figtree3

Shows how much I'm not keeping up with these forums -- I just now saw this message. The typo can probably be blamed on my phone. When I write messages from there, typos abound!

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My phone inserts the typos that it "thinks" I meant to do myself! Smart Phone!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

One of my sisters talked me into turning off the auto correct feature on my phone. And I have not looked back! All typos are my own now.

7. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

Thanks for all your help!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted