Featured what is this? ugly and crude, figure

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Nancy Neal, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

Have no idea when/where I got this, and truthfully do not know what I WAS THINKING, .It is now my task to dispose of it, garage sale, antique/collectible sale It seems to be very crudely made, does not sit or stand independently ,body is wood, Hair is some kind of fur, with a leather back, dress is leather bracelet and belt is wool, eyes are turquoise colored stones stuck onto fur, Held upright it measures about 11 inches, thank you for any help you can give me, IMG_8088.JPG IMG_8089.JPG IMG_8092.JPG IMG_8090.JPG IMG_8093.JPG IMG_8094.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe a representation of Kweo Kachina, Wolf Kachina?
    The feet could have been glued to a piece of wood so it could stand, or it was meant to hang.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  3. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

You are in luck! It is October and as scary as that is maybe it will sell as a Halloween prop!

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Well scare me again. I thought it was the 3rd wife come to life again to torture me. Looks like her when she got drunk.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

5. buyingtime777

I was going to say "Halloweena Kachina" but it looks like Greg knows her....:p

Christmasjoy, judy, wildrose and 5 others like this.
  6. Nancy Neal

Lol Greg you made me spew my coffee, so everyone agrees that it is not some long lost treasure and can be sold for a few dollars for Halloween, thank you all.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's PERFECT! Perfect for a haunted house, at least. Zombie child's bedroom prop?

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wonder if it would even burn!!!!
    ;)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. evelyb30

Hydrogen peroxide might do the deed - just hang it over the exhaust for a funny car that needs to exorcise a few demons and ...bingo?

10. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Before you dismiss it.....someone should tag Komo or Toupou. I don't know how to do it. but it could be a tribal thing!

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

12. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

:eek: well... they say creepy ugly sells...so should be a winner.... YIKES!!

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

you type the @ sign then the name of the person you want to tag.
    Usually the auto fill appears and you can double click to finish the tag.

@Taupou

14. Nancy Neal

15. Nancy Neal

16. buyingtime777

Maybe run one of those "haunted" listings in the Halloween spirit and say there have been strange happenings in the home since it arrived and such.

If it is determined to not be an NA piece with much value it really is quirky enough you might be surprised if you could get the right crowd looking at it.

Is it real fur?

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I 'liked' AJ's take on it, but it's so unrefined that to state for sure that it's an authentic Katsina is above my pay grade !

18. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Definitely not an authentic kachina doll. They are carved by the Hopi or Zuni, and are made from cottonwood root, which this isn't. Nor do the Hopi or Zuni use fringed leather, or fur like this.

According to Harold S. Colton, in Hopi Kachina Dolls with a Key to Their Identification, Kweo, the Wolf Kachina, should be depicted with "Brown case mask, snout with teeth, and wolf tracks painted on cheeks. Body painted yellow on back and white on front. Black or white spots on forearm and lower legs."

So, however you choose to dispose of it ("dispose" maybe being the key word), just don't call it a kachina or kachina doll. Some of the other descriptions might be more apt.

19. evelyb30

Psychotic Haunted Halloween UGLY Doll Decoration ought to about cover it!

20. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thanks cluttered. Haven’t needed to use it often. But it is good to know

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted