What is this?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Squijal, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Squijal

Squijal New Member

It is brass, weighs approx. 3.5 lbs, is 5” - 7.5cm tall, measures 3” - 7.5cm across the top and 4” - 10cm across the bottom. 4F390957-105F-454F-AFDD-90B0301F82E4.jpeg 12368FD0-8C2E-44D9-8831-2509BDF32F27.jpeg D67CD07E-6300-4ACE-856F-6ACDE3AF597D.jpeg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Squijal! Welcome to Antiquers.

Hopefully someone will be along that can help.
    @springfld.arsenal

Squijal, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to the Forums, @Squijal!!!!! It kind of looks like some sort of little pump, but totally not sure!!! Does it come apart??? Are those ashes around the stem??? Wondering what others will have to say!!! Can you post another image of that etching/logo???? Close-up!!! Thanks!!!

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

In case not everyone has read introduction, I would repeat from the U.K. In case that helps to explain what this is.

Squijal, Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Does the dish like top unscrew and what is inside?

Squijal, i need help and aaroncab like this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Is there any resistance when you pull up the top part, or is it just loose? Pic of the bottom?

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

It's a...uh....um...an...well, you push the....

Squijal, komokwa, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the photo, but is the top of the plunger a screen that something could be dispensed through, or is it solid? If it is meant to dispense something, there would also need to be a way to fill it.

Squijal likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think it may be an alcohol dispenser - you push a cotton ball down onto the top. Here is a modern version:
    [​IMG]

D&L (or L&D) may have been a pharmaceutical company.

i need help likes this.
  10. Squijal

Squijal New Member

Thanks for all the replies. The dish top does unscrew but is corroded so I have not seen inside. The section that pulls up has no resistance, it is weighted and just plops back down, the thin tube is hollow, the round top piece also unscrews and is covered with a metal gauze. There is no sign of ashes in the top dish. An alcohol dispenser sounds interesting I shall investigate this idea further thanks.

aaroncab likes this.
  11. i need help

If there is no resistance, I don’t see how this would be a liquid dispenser. Unless when filled, it gains resistance somehow. It would require a spring, I would think. But, of course I could be wrong.

Squijal likes this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

A guess only.
    An incomplete railway signal box plunger.

Squijal and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

It looks as if the logo is DL8, which I see is a postal code in the UK. Maybe irrelevant, or may not say that at all. :rolleyes:

Squijal likes this.
  14. Squijal

Squijal New Member

I don’t think it would gain any resistence there’s too much weight at the bottom but as you suggest perhaps there’s something missing.

i need help likes this.
  15. Squijal

Squijal New Member

the logo is a fancy D & L intertwined sorry about the poor quality pic but perhaps you can see what I mean 99DA65BA-3E62-4F50-8C87-E370D62FD5C9.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Agree, the secret is probably inside. Drip a little WD-40 (everyone has a cannot two, no?) on the joint, leave for 8 hrs, unscrew. Or try thinnest oil you have. An alcohol dispenser is a good possibility, age would have dried up pump seals so there is no longer any pumping or resistance.

Squijal likes this.