What is this?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ted J, Nov 11, 2019.

?

Does anyone know what this piece is?

1. Display case

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Curio cabinet

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ted J

Ted J New Member

F4FA5EEC-7806-4F8E-8329-4C06A5212BB0.jpeg

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

shelf unit........all of the above !

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id call it an etagere ,victorian/eastlake style (yes,Im up too late!) . Its gorgeous !

5. Ted J

Ted J New Member

Thank you! About how old is it and what are these used for?
    We just had it repaired at a restoration place after it was damaged during shipment from PA to CA.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's used for displaying items of value that you wish to see on an ongoing basis..

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am goin with @johnnycb09 on this one, etagere because it has open shelves, a vitrine is glassed, i could be wrong about this.
    I don't think it's old, it looks fairly new, done in the Victorian style.

9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The stick and ball decoration reminds me of Hunzinger / Merklin Brothers N.Y. Might be a nice repro - what does the back look like?

10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I don't think it has the refinement of style of a Hunzinger, and I'm not sure I've seen any case pieces attributed to him. The image below is attributed to him, by whom I don't know. His chairs look like fantasy plumbing made of wood, a romance of the new machine-age. Stick and ball was a very typical and often-copied design element for the so-called "Eastlake" style. A simple and cheap way
    to cover expanses! hunzinger.jpg

11. Ted J

Ted J New Member

Appreciate the responses, here is a picture of the back and side. 96B2C96D-B678-4AEA-9E26-095BC6C6BF2C.jpeg 96B2C96D-B678-4AEA-9E26-095BC6C6BF2C.jpeg

anundverkaufen likes this.
  12. i need help

13. Ted J

Ted J New Member

Side view,
    The piece was just refinished, new locking piece, broken leg, side pieces and a coat of varnish.
    As I understand the story, the piece was given to my grandmother in the 50’s in the Philly area.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. i need help

15. Ted J

Ted J New Member

Hello and thank you to all who commented on the thread. We know very little about antiques, your knowledge and time is appreciated.
    To laura9797, I posted a picture of the back of the piece as you requested, did it tell you anything further?

16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It looks old and refinished. Dates to around 1900. Agree with Johnny that it's an etagere, but with a small enclosed display cabinet added on to the front left. I may be wrong, but as I remember vitrines had to have glass on the sides as well.

I would not guess this is Hunzinger. His designs were more radical; I like Darkwing's description. Besides, as mentioned above, I don't think I've seen an etagere by Hunginzer.....He was famous for chairs, and I've even seen a shaving stand by him. Mostly smaller pieces.

17. Ted J

Ted J New Member

Hello Ghopper1924, very interesting you would mention a shaving stand built by Hunginzer. My grandmother use to display an old shaving kit on this piece. It was a shaving cream mug, shaving brush and straight razor. My mom recalls my grandmother thinking it may have come from a barber shop.

18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Ted J.! Another coincidence: I've got a shaving stand by Thomas Brooks coming any day now. It was made ca. 1860. I sure wish I had your grandmother's shaving kit to display with it! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted