Some part of Drapery hardware? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueAnimals, Mar 21, 2020.

1. AntiqueAnimals

AntiqueAnimals Active Member

I have a box of these decorative whatsits, they came from a fire damaged mansion that sat for many years before we were called in to clean it out. Some were in a box, some stuck in the wall at completely random places as decoration (?) but I can’t imagine that they weren’t meant for some purpose.

Someone, please enlighten me! This mystery has been swimming around my thoughts for a few years now.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

patd8643 and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. AntiqueAnimals

AntiqueAnimals Active Member

How would that work though? You wouldn’t see the decorative side the way I am imagining it. There are many and some are threaded and some aren’t. They don’t fit perfectly but that could just be age I suppose. Maybe they hung tapestry or curtains to the wall? Maybe they are curtain hold-backs but it’s missing another piece. The way they were in the house they came out of was literally like polka dots on the wall.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Were they flat to the wall or were they standing away from the wall.
    Will one thread into another?
    Could these be picture hangers?

5. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

They look like rosettes to hang pictures from but they usually came with a hook to suspend the assembly from the plate rail below the ceiling line. If these were just punched randomly into plaster walls, I don't think they would support the weight of a picture or even a tapestry. Hmmm...this is a conundrum.

6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Sandra and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

They may have been on the ends of drapery rods like this:
    2-inch-wood.jpg

Sandra likes this.
  9. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Could they be ornate covers for the holes left where there was at one period of time gas light sconces on the wall? Is there any evidence that the house was ever piped for gas lights? Just a thought?:confused::wideyed:

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm fairly certain they're for curtain rods.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't know; you would only get the side view, which is not too pretty.

Draft saved Draft deleted