Silver bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ananda, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Ananda

Ananda Member

Please help me to identify, age, worth, etc.

Thank you

01A78880-0779-452D-9280-F273B3B01BCA.jpeg 19E29431-0651-4180-A15B-4A3FC6143262.jpeg C571A756-BE45-4BF0-AAB9-74F23031FA40.jpeg B272E1E1-34C4-42A7-BCE5-9CA4470644D3.jpeg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Ananda, Would you please add something about your item in the title, such as silver centerpiece or silver bowl. Otherwise, members will have to sort through your repeated titles to find something that they may want to help you with.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We are also going to need more information about your bowl - like measurements, pictures if any marks, where you got it and how long you've had it. Anything you "know" or heard from a former owner about an item should be shared here to give us the best chance to help you.

DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, I am already confused by several 'Help me identify' titles. If I find something relevant to one of them, I won't be able to post it because I have no idea where to go.

DragonflyWink and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Ananda

Ananda Member

I am sorry, I am the first time here. I ve got a present from my dead aunt and I dont know nothing

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No need to be sorry. We're just trying to help you get better results. Many new members do this same thing.

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Also Ananda check the best specific forum category for your item, there’s a silver forum here. See how others post too for pointers, clear pictures, size is often important, show backs and bottoms of things too.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Ananda

Ananda Member

I only think that it is silver, maybe this yellow metal is gold for that I posted here.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

May be silver plated over brass. The silver forum includes plated items people want to find out about.
    Have a good look all over for tiny marks. I think I can see some marks on pic 3.
    If you have lots of items invest a few pounds/dollars in a jewellers loupe or a good magnifying glass that will help you.

KikoBlueEyes and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

It is also possible that the "yellow color" is gilding over silver. This was often done to protect the silver from acid corrosion.

11. Ananda

Ananda Member

It is written 1710 on the leg.

12. Bakersgma

That is very unlikely to be a date, Ananda. Much more likely to be a maker's design number.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Ananda

Ananda Member

14. Ananda

Ananda Member

Maybe this is a date?

15. Bakersgma

Need a closer picture to see.

16. Ananda

Ananda Member

Also this sign maybe mean something? 0AE37F6E-4B79-44D8-8E64-726EB1CA01B6.jpeg

17. Ananda

Ananda Member

0367B7AC-7309-4830-8375-65C85E1C814A.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Ah. Thank you. That looks like a European style date inscription, probably recording the event for which this item was given as a gift. Wedding, anniversary, birthday (but less likely.)

Please go looking for more marks. European silver marks can be tiny.

Did your aunt live in Europe at any point in time?

Any Jewelry and DragonflyWink like this.
  19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

10th of June, 1913... edit: Correction, poor old eyes read 'VI', as Blooey pointed out, it's 'XI' - 10th of November, 1913...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  20. Ananda

Ananda Member

Yes she lived, but I think that she bought it from somebody

Draft saved Draft deleted