Featured What kind of coral is this?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I think this is real coral. It weighs about .3 pounds (136 grams).
    IMG_6875.JPG IMG_6875.JPG IMG_6880.JPG IMG_6882.JPG IMG_6883.JPG IMG_6884.JPG IMG_6876.JPG

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, and yes coral. A pretty generic ethnic style, my guess is the region Middle East to Northern India.
    The coral could be natural, it could be dyed. First look in the drill hole. If the inside of the hole is white, it is dyed. Will you let me know the result? I have a test, but I don't generally recommend it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. Barn Owl

Thank you!
    I'm not home now, but I'll let you know once I get back.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll say dyed...but still a nice piece !

6. Barn Owl

If it's dyed, how much would a necklace like this be worth? Versus undyed?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. komokwa

That's a hard call, but off the cuff I'd suspect undyed would be worth 3 to 4 times as much.....IMO.......off the cuff !!!

8. Any Jewelry

Let's wait until you've seen the inside of the beads. When you're home, could you take a picture of the clasp? It looks like there is no clasp at all, but you would have mentioned it.

9. Barn Owl

There's a clasp. The picture just didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I don't know if there's a mark on it; I wasn't the one who took these photos. I'll let you know soon. IMG_6879.JPG

10. Any Jewelry

With that Western style clasp on an ethnic style necklace, northern India is more likely than the Middle East.

11. komokwa

don't I see a light scuff...far right 2nd to last pic..?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

undyed bamboo coral is white[​IMG]

14. komokwa

my thinking also....

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's absolutely a BEAUTIFUL necklace!!!!!!!! Is this circled area any indication of anything???? Fourth image down......

zIMG_6882.jpg

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just that it really is coral. If the metal isn't silver, that increases the odds the coral is dyed. Natural coral chunks that size would be on precious metal.

17. komokwa

To me that lobster clasp looks out of place with the rest of the hardware..

18. Any Jewelry

They sometimes use them in India on modern ethnic or ethnic inspired necklaces. I have a modern Banjara (Rajasthani Gypsy) necklace with a similar clasp. The symbols of the necklace are traditional, the execution, including the use of sterling silver, is modern.
    Clasps can be replaced, but in this case I think it is original to the piece.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

It looks it, but looks can deceive, which is why asked barn to check, and also why I didn't want to hint at a value.

I thought this was dyed bamboo coral at first, but after testing each bead separately with acetone (I know...:banghead:, don't try this at home), they all turned out to be natural:
    upload_2018-2-26_11-10-7.jpeg

White blotches are not always an indication that coral is dyed, by the way. This 19th century Yemeni necklace is made using even older Mediterranean or Red Sea coral:
    upload_2018-2-26_11-13-24.jpeg

judy, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

In ethnic jewellery, the fact that non-precious metals are used is not an indication. This huge Palestinian necklace is made of gorgeous Mediterranean coral, but the metal beads are base metal. Only the focal piece is silver and niello.
    upload_2018-2-26_11-19-8.jpeg

Because of all of this, I'd rather wait until barn has looked at the drill hole. If it is white, it is dyed. If it is red, we can see what's next.
    Ethnic jewellery can be very complicated.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted