Featured What kind of costume in this photo?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Figtree3, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I thought I had posted this somewhere and somebody came up with a very interesting idea as to what kind of costume this man was wearing in the 1890s. But I can't find it in these forums through a search. I also searched the Archived Antiques board in eBay and couldn't find it. Also looked in the Victorian Images group on Facebook, where I've posted a lot.

Anyway, this is a cabinet card photo from my collection. I bought it as part of my collection of people wearing costumes, not thinking it might be a particular type of costume. I just thought it was a funny masquerade or Halloween costume. Well, somebody suggested a very specific meaning that I did not write down! Seems it might have had something to do with a religious or fraternal group? Mind you, this was taken in Nora Springs, Iowa, in the middle of the rural part of the United States.

Any ideas? Or do any of you remember a previous discussion about this? Thanks for any help!

Nora Springs Iowa costume House (672x1024).jpg

SYNCHRONCITY, Bronwen, cxgirl and 9 others like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Medieval Renaissance Knight? With a flimsy helmet?
    [​IMG]

3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I can't even imagine.
    Do you recall what part of the costume was specific to the suggestion? The beard? The helmet? The embroidered robe?

ulilwitch, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look theatrical. Russia perhaps?

Debora

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Knights of Pythias perhaps?

ulilwitch, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, that's interesting. They seem to like to dress up.

Debora

1913MasonLodgeNo70-4.jpg

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

I wish I could remember, but all of these thoughts are interesting. So I'll start from scratch with this.

ulilwitch and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Figtree3

I keep trying to answer this from my phone, which is acting up. I think it was both the helmet and the robe. Maybe even the beard, too! It was a while ago. I couldn't find a scan of the photo and had to redo it today. That means the old scan was a long time ago.

ulilwitch and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Great pic BTW, forgot to mention that!

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nora Springs a tiny, tiny town in the Victorian era with population below 1,000. Can't find reference to opera house or theatre. Nor a photographer named House (which is, of course, a name hard to research.) There did appear to be a Knights of Pythias "castle" according to this 1899 quote. And the Tribe of Ben Hur liked to dress up too.

"Dr. Blythe began the practice of medicine in 1867, at Vinton, Iowa, removing to Rudd, Iowa, in 1869 and to Nora Springs in 1873, where he has remained ever since, enjoying a good practice. He belongs to the following secret orders: Knights of Pythias, A. O. U. W., Modern Woodmen, and Tribe of Ben Hur."

Debora

benhur.jpg

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

ulilwitch, Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You know, I just suggested the Pythian order as a kind of joke - ironic if it really is that!

Reason it came to mind is that a few years ago I found a pair of Knights of Pythias number plate surrounds in a junk shop and thought it would be cool to fit them (something different) to my car .

I'm not a member of the order of course, but found out later some of my neighbors referred to my car as "pythias's Jag" :oops:

carcar.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice Jag...but shouldn't U block out the plate number ???

Figtree3, blooey and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

For what reason? Can it be linked to me for some kind of nefarious endeavor?

Please explain!

[edit] ok, I changed it

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    komokwa likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Thanks to @Debora , @blooey , and @flipper for your suggestions. Yes, I could try contacting somebody in Nora Springs. The public library is closed because of the coronavirus, and who knows about the historical museum? But I'm hopeful they could be monitoring email accounts.

ulilwitch and Lucille.b like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing this posted before, maybe on the Ebay boards?

Wow, what a great cabinet card! Great suggestions and tips here, do follow up on those.

My only observations... almost looks like he has eyeliner on?? Am I seeing this correctly? If yes, would this have been common for a photo of that era, or does that imply he was in some kind of theatrical production, rather than something along the lines of the Pythian Order. Also has anyone suggested that his beard/mustache might be fake?

The outfit is really fantastic. Looks like a fair amount of work went into it.

Can see why you keep this card in your collection. Great!

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and ulilwitch like this.
  17. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

This guy sort of reminds me of Xerxes 1 of Persia.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given what appears to be a false beard, I would suspect theatrical rather than fraternal.

Debora

ulilwitch and Figtree3 like this.
  19. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

My hubby needs a costume for the next Renaissance fair....this photo is inspiration!

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

One of my graduate school topics was fancy dress costume. It was very popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to costume up for a variety of annual holiday, community or theatrical events. Buttterick and other pattern books put out special editions of fancy dress ideas for men, women and children. The details were only vaguely reminiscent of actual ethnic or historic dress, heavily influenced by stereotypes and always modified into the current fashionable silhouette. You will find countless Cleopatras and Marie Antoinettes with an 1880s hour-glass figure. Others were plain flights of fancy, or based on fictional or literary figures. I would venture to guess that your cabinet card commemorates either a local theatrical performance or a fancy dress ball. The ball venue owners would often sell tickets to the public to stand in front of a their hall so the average townsfolk could watch the guests arrive in their finery. Local newspapers always listed the attendees names and what character they were portraying. Lots of links on-line under fancy dress, such as https://www.loc.gov/collections/dan...33.0/|language:english&sb=shelf-id&st=gallery

0751.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted