What kind of fur is this? Antique child's capelet?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I don't know where the heck I picked this up - I was cleaning in one of my private rooms at the store today and found it. It is small - looks like it was made for a young child. It is fur on the outside and lined on the inside with smooth fabric. The fur/skin is thin and supple. The fur is wavy and very dark brown. Does anyone know what it is? Otter? Lamb?

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's really soft it might even be seal. I hope not.

3. Bookahtoo

What's throwing me off are the cute little waves. I'm alternating between loving it and being totally repulsed.

4. evelyb30

That could be lamb like you said. I'm not sure.

5. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

How long is the fur?

6. Bookahtoo

A little more than 1/2".

7. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

8. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Looks like sealskin. Why that should be more bothersome than any other animal is lost on me. Sealskin, because it's so soft, would be appropriate for a child's capelet.

9. Bookahtoo

I believe you're right 6rivets. Thanks.

Can I sell this on ebay?

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

More than likely made before any "ban" or "problem" with seal skin/fur.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I thought sealskin right away

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Their excuse back then was they didn't have Gore-Tec or Polar Fleece.

13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

AFAIK, seals are not an endangered species and Inuit have been using seal skin/fur for hundreds of years. It is also a source of food and oil.

14. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Exactly, Wendy.

15. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I had that fur before along with mink,but never knew what the former fur was.I really didn't care cause when the donations of fur came in, we cut into small blankets for kittens and puppies for a rescue. The fur blankies kept the orphans warm and toasty.I even used the fur for baby birds :cat:

6rivets likes this.
  16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As 6Rivets said, that capelet is sealskin. During that era, such things came in ermine as well -- especially when trimmed with the tails. The ermine continued to decorate little girls up thru the forties, but sealskin not so much. It had a connotation of sadness. Once everyone stopped wearing mourning forever and ever, sealskin was not seen so often.

The "problem" with seal fur had to do with the Method of killing the cubs. Although it sounds absolutely horrible, it is no more horrible than the killing of many other kinds of animals. If an inuit wants to live in an igloo, I have no objection to his choice, but I do not want to watch HOW he makes himself warm and fed. I knew about, but never watched my grandmother retrieve a chicken from the pen and then execute it. (And then have to catch it, because it was too stupid to know it was dead! UGH!)

17. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

But you ate Grandma's chicken?

18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Darn right. I may be lily-livered, but I'm also pragmatic. Were I a starving street person in India, I'd kill a cow, thank you very much. LOL! Although I would have to take into consideration possible religious retribution from believers among my fellow homeless persons. Have also eaten rabbit, venison (different killer), snapper (turtle), squab, and pheasant (DK) prepared by the same excellent chef. But then she got me at the very beginning with - scrapple! :)

19. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

20. evelyb30

One of my cats loves rabbit, as long as she caught it. But it's gotta be, shall we say, rather rare. Venison and wild boar are yummy. Can't say I've ever eaten turtle or wild pigeon, but quail are good too. What gets me about seal fur is that they usually go after the babies.

Draft saved Draft deleted