Featured What makes some paper mache valuable?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Mar 3, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I bought a vintage paper mache reindeer had an estate sale today for $3 just because I'm a sucker for a reindeer.

I always buy with resale on mine and I figured I could probably put 10 or $15 on it around Christmas and sell it...
    But then I got to looking on Etsy and eBay. If he doesn't so sold prices but asking prices were anywhere from $40 to a hundred plus dollars, an eBay sold prices were $2 to $70 to a hundred plus dollars.

What makes a paper mache piece valuable?

judy, tyeldom3, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe its fragility over time , so older items get bust up and trashed leaving the ones in great condition.....more sought after......

jat....

3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I love antique Papier Maché.

I think komo has it right, It is fragile and it's getting increasingly difficult to find it in good condition.

My dream piece is a fitted sewing box, I have been searching for quite a while with no luck but I will keep looking.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If it is Vernis Martin...

judy and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I see no signatures, but hes still cute

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pearlsnblume and tyeldom3 like this.
  6. komokwa

yes, he's very handsome !

judy likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is a she Komo. Male reindeer lose their antlers before winter. The females retain theirs for protection. That is why all Santa's reindeer are girls except Rudolph since he has no antlers.
    greg

pearlsnblume, tyeldom3 and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

Well then...not only will i note date a table...i will not date a roondeer either !!!
    phooy !

tyeldom3 and judy like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

The older ones are getting harder to find, and most collectors are willing to forgive damage to get their hands on one. The ones from Germany are (to me) the nicest ones, they are usually candy containers but sometimes larger ones show up. If you can find Santa with his sleigh and a reindeer you have a major score. You have to be careful though, lots of reproductions out there.
    Here is a photo stolen from an old eBay listing - they sold for $7500.00 41d0ee4a0f0a1415346fbd9088748517.jpg

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Excellent description and example, Cx. :)

tyeldom3, judy and cxgirl like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The one that @SeaGoat posted I had in unpainted condition....I think I got from Christmas Tree Shop and eventually threw out.....LOVE what @cxgirl posted....love the price too!!!!!! WOW!!!!

judy and SeaGoat like this.
  12. Lori Rose

Lori Rose New Member

I just picked up a paper mache clown holding two little clowns with made with Mickey mouse paper, everything is still intact, very unique, I can't seem to find it on the internet, can anyone help, thanks

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Lori! :)
    We will need some pictures.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/making-a-post-and-uploading-pictures.16038/
    Here’s instructions.

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I am not totally sure but, I do not think yours is that old. I had 2 that I picked up at Michael's in the early 90's that I spray painted gold & tied fancy bows around their necks. One was standing & one was lying down just like yours. They came in just a plain brown paper material so you could paint them or cover them in anything you wanted.

Here is one I found on Pinterest.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415175659377895950/

i need help likes this.
  15. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Since I posted in this thread I have found my dream piece...
    A gorgeous Papiér Maché sewing box.
    It's gone away to Santa though :)

cxgirl and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted