Featured What material could this be? What’s the thing on the front?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 18, 2021.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

0D0AF7FC-F90C-4584-BD37-8673C0F30AB5.jpeg CFCF63BD-E870-4DE0-A151-36233F0E9AD8.jpeg E50C0DAE-F791-4F89-9197-F93F39FE2DA1.jpeg 1BF24918-D940-474B-974D-F7DE837C85ED.jpeg

Full of questions this week. It’s Friday!! Yay.
    This is has a medium weight about it but kinda feels solid and almost like plastic but not. My first thought is pietra dura but I don’t know why I’ve never had a piece that I know of. Kinda looks like an antique mourning piece but the design on the front throws me off of that direction It certainly is neat. What do y’all think? The screwed in pin mechanism points something out, I’m sure. Just not sure what. It’s not cold like a stone

thanks for any help or laughs!!!

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might be bog oak, might also be ebonised wood. The back is 19thC, and I suspect that's a very stylised monogram.

3. gauntlettgems

Oooh, cool. I just don’t see any letters. Looks geometric or something. @Ownedbybear

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first guess would be pressed horn. It was used for Victorian mourning jewelry. The design is just that, probably.

Lucille.b, Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  5. gauntlettgems

I have never heard or pressed horn. I will have to look that up. I was trying to see if I could smell anything in particular but my sniffer is not good. I can rarely ever smell Bakelite.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see a monogram. Could be a stylized love knot or just a geometric design.

Debora

Lucille.b, Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The outer frame looks like bog oak to me. Having the pin assembly screwed directly into the material is consistent.

The central plaquette I think is a separate piece. Could be bois durci. Whatever it is, that part appears to have been made by being pressed into a mold, not carved.

I see the design as sort of a modernized Celtic knot. A lot of bog oak jewellery comes from Ireland.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is described as a Irish Victorian bog oak brooch. It also has a knotted design.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure looks right. Hard to be sure without it in hand.

10. gauntlettgems

I understand that for sure. My first time encountering this. I am going straight to look it up to soak up what I can about it. It sure feels weird for sure. Ty so much e1

Happy weekend!!!

11. Ownedbybear

It looks like a bog oak grain.

12. gauntlettgems

I have not had a chance but I am going to read up on that. Never heard of it before you guys mentioned it. Super cool

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve got some pressed horn bracelet links somewhere. I’ll try to find them to compare.

14. Ownedbybear

Bog oak is a sort of precursor to jet, if you like. Much "younger".

Lucille.b, Bronwen and Darkwing Manor like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me if bog oak can be soaked, in water or something else, & made slightly squishy so that it could take the impression of a mold applied with pressure. The center panels of OP's & the one at Darkwing's link are not hand carved.

Darkwing Manor and Lucille.b like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Sosmething in my head says these were press moulded.

Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and Lucille.b like this.
  18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks molded, 'twould be very difficult to carve that diapered/beaded background. Steam, pressure and steel dies are used to press designs into oak furniture, so I assume something similar was used for these. Wiki says bog oak is even more dense.

gauntlettgems and Bronwen like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW, in looking up 'bog oak', who knew it was that rare! Rarer that diamonds!!!!!!!!!!!!

gauntlettgems and Bronwen like this.
  20. gauntlettgems

But would dense mean weighty? This is kind of a medium weight but not heavy. It does look like the samples you’ve had me look at. Wild, I’ve never ever seen or heard of it before.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted