What Medals Did All British Soldiers Receive After WW2

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Nathan Lindop, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

My sisters grandmother doesn’t have her dads medals anymore and she is looking to buy replacement medals to remember him by.

She is sure he was given The Italy Star, The North Africa Star but she isn’t completely sure which others he was awarded.

I can across the Victory Star and the 1939-45 medal but I’m not entirely sure what these were awarded for. She think he had a victory star.

Can anyone confirm what medals all British soldiers received on coming home after ww2

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Depends where he was, obviously, but certainly the Victory one and the 1939-45 general service medal. He might have had good conduct as well. the MOD will actually provide his service record if you ask for it. My dad had Italy, Africa, Victory, 1939-45 and good conduct. Sergeant Major who got wounded at Cassino. His service record also has a commendation but you don't get a medal for that.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Everyone got the War Medal. They got campaign medals based on theatre of service, Africa Star and Italy Star together are common. There was no general service medal for WWII, the different campaign medals serve the purpose the GSM serves in other conflicts. There was no general issue of good conduct medals, the nearest thing is the long service and good conduct medal which did not apply to 'hostilities only' military people.

The MOD keeps records of who was awarded what, for a proper record enquire there. Give full name and service number, or at least the regiment if you do not know his number, the service number may be on any old papers he kept such as his discharge papers.
    WWII medals apart frim gallantry medals were unnamed so it should be easy enough to make up a set that would be identical to the originals he was issued.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Nathan.
    List of GB WWII medals.
    1939-45 Star
    Atlantic Star
    Air Crew Europe (Valuable)
    Africa Star
    Pacific Star
    Burma Star
    Italy Star
    France & Germany Star
    Defence Medal
    War Medal 1939-45.

Here are my fathers medals
    39-45 Star
    Atlantic Star
    France & Germany Star
    War Medal 1939-45

There is also a small silver one which was placed on the sleeve which he was awarded for staying on until 1946 for clearing mines from the Channel and French ports.

20180615_104238.jpg

5. Nathan Lindop

Those are brilliant @daveydempsey brave of him to stay when he didn’t need to.

She told me the only specific ones were Italy star and Africa star but thanks for confirming the other two. We are pretty certain it was those four :

Italy Star
    Africa Star
    1939-45 Medal
    Victory Medal

Now my only confusion is what is your dads 39-45 star xD is that another Medal I don’t know of! And why wouldn’t he have the Victory Medal?

6. daveydempsey

The 39-45 Star was awarded to personel who had completed 6 months service in specified operational commands overseas between 3rd September 1939 and 2nd September 1945.

Any service curtailed by death, injury or capture also qualified.

There was no Victory medal, that is from WWI.
    The Defence medal is for 3 years service at home or one years service in non operational area.

7. daveydempsey

gregsglass likes this.
  8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

HI DD. What a wealth of information you are. Thanks. :)

Christmasjoy and daveydempsey like this.
  9. Nathan Lindop

Italy Star
    Africa Star
    39-45 War Medal
    39-45 Star

Brilliant. Davey is always no nonsense info. What you want when you want it haha xD

I’ll definately look into acquiring a service record. As well as ones for my own family line. My great grandfather was at D-Day so I’d love to see the records. Just need Full Name and Service Number or Regiment. Repeating stuff so I can read this later xD

10. daveydempsey

Your great grandfather might have bumped into my Dad at D-day:D
    My Dad is still with us, aged 97 living alone with all his faculties.
    My maternal grandfather was wounded at Ypres in WWI in 1914, he lived to be 94.

His WWI medals were melted when his home and my mothers home got bombed in WWII.

I was led to believe they were bombed twice between 39-45 however I recently attended a family funeral and discovered they were bombed out 3 times and lost all their posessions.
    It seems the Germans really wanted him dead and failed in two wars.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Nathan Lindop

97! wonder how long you’ve got Davey xD A Century at least i hope.

Talk about bad luck. Nobody in my family even got close. Glad we don’t live in that time now, and that danger was just at home.

daveydempsey likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pa never got to D-Day, which I suspect he was rather grateful for. Two years in hospital after Cassino.

Draft saved Draft deleted