Featured What-Not-Shelf/Bookshelf - Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Joe2007, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

My most recent furniture acquisition which I found at an estate auction. It is Walnut and in fairly good condition after a polish. I don't know how old this piece is or if it is even vintage but I liked it and desperately needed another shelf to display my collections.

Your Thoughts?

bookshelf what-not-stand pic1.jpg bookshelf what-not-stand pic2.jpg bookshelf what-not-stand pic3.jpg

2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Hey that's a classy book shelf looks to be in great condition. Nice fine!

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's great -- I'd love to have one like that. Enjoy it!

I'm sure that others will have more substantial information.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

My first impression is 1940's. It's back looks like sheet plywood which was standard in this era. Nice columns with staggered shelves. . . good looking piece. Much of the mid 20th c. furniture like this was nice quality -

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I would love it for my home! This is far beyond dark brown wood shelving.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am on board with a 40s date for this. Styling suggest it is designed to go with the Duncan Phyfe furniture of the day. Sure it is not mahogany?

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks NICE, clean and should serve you very well for your collections!!!! Great buy!!!

cxgirl, Michael77 and Joe2007 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Very nice; a cut above. Agree with Drew and Brad on the pertinent points: think it's mahogany and also agree on 1940s as a date. It looks like it was made to go with the (not the real 18th century) Duncan Phyfe dining room sets and desks from the 40s and 50s.

Even though that stuff is out of fashion, the fact is that much of it was beautifully built and, with a minimum of care, will last for another century or two to come.

Again: very handsome and far better than the usual 1940s bookcases, which even when cheap are better than the ones you can buy now.

Now fill it up with goodies and take another picture! :)

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Thanks all for the info! Can't wait to fill it up!

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

PS; I also think it looks like mahogany with the reddish tone. Walnut has more of a light chocolate brown color. But, to be certain, one would have to examine the wood grain because if it's a lower quality piece they would have stained a less expensive wood to look like mahogany or walnut - such as poplar. That being said, from the photos, this looks like real mahogany with it's reddish glow ~~

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's mahogany too.

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted