What percentage of unmarked gold jewelry contains gold?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by AntiqueBytes, Mar 13, 2020.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

In your experience, what percentage of unmarked gold jewelry contains real gold in some level?

judy likes this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Unmarked GOLD is... gold:joyful: If the piece is any gilt metal it is... METAL even if falsely marked:facepalm:

Now, if your question is about what percentage of real gold jewellery is marked... It depends!
    Mainly if antique, not all pieces were marked... Some countries didn't/don't have a mandatory assay...:nailbiting:

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You don't want to bother with unmarked gold, send it all to me and I'll get rid of it for you for free.

Xristina and kyratango like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of melting antique jewelry for the gold content. If the pieces are in good wearable condition, more often than not there is more value in the antique design than the gold.

And if you have to be the idiot to test it by scratching it, at least do it where it can't be seen.

popsycat, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  5. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I agree with all the posts so far. I am just wondering if anyone has experience in looking at a lot of jewelry and eventually knowing from experience a percentage. Just a topic. I'm not looking to create a declaration and get 40 signatures or anything =)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

In recent times almost none except for some artisan pieces. Prior to 1900 maybe up to 25%.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Before the 19th C, almost no gold jewellery was marked in the UK, despite our assay laws. Once you get to the late 1800s, more marsk, not always full hallmarks, are seen. From the 1920s, it's the majority.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, gold is gold by definition. The fineness can vary, which means the actual gold content can vary.
    Then there is the legal definition, some countries accept 9k as gold, many countries don't accept anything below 14k or 18k as gold.

If you want to be able to tell the fineness by looking at a gold item, good luck.;)
    The look of a gold item depends on which other metals were mixed in with the gold, which is different according to fashion, country, period, etc. For instance, if you have experience with ca 1840-60 18k Dutch gold, you may be able to hazard a guess. Lucky thing is, it would be marked.:)

And if it isn't gold, it simply isn't gold. It could be plated etc or simply goldtone base metal, but never gold.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just by looking..........???

Only in some instances ...with experience ....and knowing how things are made...

upload_2020-3-16_3-7-9.jpeg
    I can tell........that this is most likely 18K...

upload_2020-3-16_3-11-34.jpeg

and that this smaller bracelet is going to be 14K....

but, just by looking at this....

upload_2020-3-16_3-20-54.jpeg

how can anyone tell.............

BTW....they say this is 316 stainless steel.............!!!

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted