Featured What style / age is this ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Walter901, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Walter901

Walter901 Member

I recently bought this piece of furniture. Have a look at the pictures. I'm wondering how old it is and the style. Thanks ! image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Inside of cupboard and of the drawers, please, plus reverse of handles, and lock and a photo of the hinges. Interesting, in that it looks as though it was once polychrome painted in part.

3. Walter901

Walter901 Member

I added a few more pictures including spiderwebs. Hope it helps ! image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Still looks pretty fresh in there, those drawers must fit snug.
    That’s my only uneducated observation.

Also, good pics! It’s not always easy to get a good shot of the insides.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Walter, that piece on the floor, does it belong on the top (back) or the bottom (front)?
    I was wondering about that, not trusting my eyes, but it does look like there are traces of red and yellow. It also looks like there are traces of gilding on the handles.
    Mediterranean maybe?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Ghopper1924, judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Guesses 19th century, not American. Where are you, where did you get the piece?

Ghopper1924, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd say French or Italian.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I get the same vibe. Italian or Southern French. It doesn't exactly look Provençal to me. I don't really know Languedoc or Roussillon furniture styles.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  9. James Conrad

I don't really know what you are saying here! Clueless in Charlotte! :hilarious::hilarious:

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Walter901

Walter901 Member

That piece on the floor belongs on the bottom front. It's just caught there with 1 nail hanging on ! I'm in Spain but I can't find any similiar furniture with the round carved feet

11. Walter901

Walter901 Member

I'm in Spain... bought it second hand... seller didn't know about it's past...

12. James Conrad

Thanks for letting us know! Spanish piece perhaps? The feet are unusual, never seen them before.
    Any idea what primary or secondary woods are?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

How nice! An honest Seller!

14. Any Jewelry

Ah, that explains it. I was considering maybe Roussillon or Spanish Catalan. Not that I am an expert on either French or Spanish Catalan furniture, but just thinking of the general styles of the regions.
    Not that clueless!
    They are all regions of Mediterranean France. Provence is the eastern part, bordering on Italy, Languedoc is to the west of Provence, Roussillon is the western part, near Spain. Roussillon culture is related to Spanish Catalunya, the region where Barcelona is.
    It is the part on the right hand side of this map, the names are in Occitan, the language family of most of southern France:

[​IMG]

15. James Conrad

I see, sort of. Very unusual feet, I don't think i have ever seen them before.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Walter901

Walter901 Member

I''m bringing a drawer to a local carpenter tomorrow, see if he can tell me what kind of wood it is. I was thinking oak but no sure either.

17. Ownedbybear

Catalan would make huge sense. Loved polychrome. And in the latter half of the 19th C made vast sugar fortunes.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

The legs and columns may be Spanish oak. Fronts possibly mahogany or another good Carribean hardwood. They imported a great deal of it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Langue d'Oc is very similar to true Catalan. I can read much of it. High French is referred to as the Langue d'Or - the tongue of gold.

20. Any Jewelry

Related cultures on both sides of the border as well.

I learned in my Occitan language class that the names of the two languages were based on the way they said 'yes'.
    So 'oc' in the langue d'oc, or language of oc, and oïl (oui) in langue d'oïl, or language of oïl. Both oc and oïl/oui meaning yes.
    Langue d'oïl became what is now known as French, the spelling of the word oïl became oui.

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted