Featured What style would you describe this lamp base as? Any further details?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Botanic, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Botanic

Botanic Member

Hi all

I'm trying to find out a bit more about this lamp base before putting it up for sale. I'm not really sure how to describe so wondered if any of you helpful folk might have some ideas. Can't see any markings on it...

Many thanks

IMG_20191125_134235895 SMALL FOR FORUMS.jpg
    IMG_20191125_134624191 SMALL FOR FORUMS.jpg
    IMG_20191125_134810474 SMALL FOR FORUMS.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and patd8643 like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Such a shame shades go walkabout.

Debora

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They bust & are too fragile from the get go !

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

True but... people don't realize they can be recovered.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. Botanic

Botanic Member

Thanks for the replies :)

OK, so the base definitely wouldn't be described as Art Deco? Just Mid Century Modern (MCM), or are there other terms I could use? As I'm putting it up for sale I want to make sure people can find it!

Lamp shades... There were a couple of shades actually, but I guessed they wouldn't have come with the base and were bought separately. Could be wrong though. I've added a photo of each. They do seem good quality. I'll actually be selling those too if they are worth anything, so any info regarding them would be welcomed. I can add some more photos if that would help.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Neither of those is correct for your lamp. I'd suggest you let the new owner select a shade. As to the two above, can't tell from photos if they're old or old-looking. Regardless, someone may find of interest but neither is of great value.

Debora

Fid, pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Not Art Deco.

Do you have the harp? What condition is the cord in?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

One more thing... Your lamp is Mid-Century in style but may not be Mid-Century in period. It's a very popular style and reproductions are made. You'll want to check carefully for markings/indications that it's indeed old so as not to disappoint your buyer.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What does the cord and plug look like.
    I think it is a more current lamp made to look like a 1970s styling.
    Any marks on the piece where the bulb screws in?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Botanic

Botanic Member

An update on the lamp base! I have it up for sale and someone kindly messaged me to let me know what it is... It was designed by Cari Zalloni for Steuler (West Germany) in the 1960s/70s. There's no mark that I can find, but I don't think they have marks. And looking at pictures of others on the 'net, it would seem that this is definitely what it is.

Which means it's worth more than I thought :)

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How kind that someone would provide that information. The model is 'Facette' and it's described as "iconic." Good luck with it!

Debora

PortableTreasures and kyratango like this.
  13. Botanic

Botanic Member

Very kind indeed. And I felt/feel awful that he has talked himself out of a potential bargain if he was planning to bid. As such, I've offered him some additional money off should he wish to buy it... Although perhaps if others are looking at it who know what it is, it will fetch a good price in any case.

Thanks for the info :)

judy and kyratango like this.
  14. Botanic

Botanic Member

Hi all

Reviving this for a little help with the lamp shades... I'm putting them up for same but have no idea how to describe them, whether they would go by a certain name, how you would describe the shape, style, and design, etc.

Any ideas?

There are a couple of photos above, but I've attached a a couple more showing the inside. It's quite a thick stiff material, and quite shiny on the inside...

Many thanks

Attached Files:

15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Really not my area but I know including measurements is absolutely crucial. The bottom and top diameter and the measurement down the side. I would describe one as tulip/floral and the other maybe as a tan stone design. Someone may well have better terms. Be sure to mention and photograph any stained or worn areas and/or tears.
    Don

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The lamp shades are bell-shaped but there are many variations. If you do a Google Image search lots of design sheets will come up to guide you to a fuller description. The first shade is floral and the second is marbleized. Important to disclose if fabric or paper.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted