Featured What To Do With Damaged Roseville Pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe2007, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Occasionally I get damaged pieces thrown in with pieces I actually want. I don't want to discard them and think that they might have minimal value to the right collector. Currently I have started a box in my basement of damaged pieces that I'm going to hold long term until the art pottery market improves and decide then if I want to keep them, sell them as they are, or have them repaired if the costs are economical.

What are your thoughts?

Damaged Roseville White Rose with sizable chip but otherwise not too bad looking.
    damaged roseville.jpg

kyratango, judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In a word, ouch. Poor thing.

judy and Joe2007 like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Several years ago on ebay there was someone who bought damaged pottery and repaired it. Then resold it as restored pottery. Have no idea if they are still around.

pearlsnblume and Joe2007 like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm probably wrong, but wonder if any of that kind of thing is anything @kyratango would/could do!! I know she does delicate jewelry porcelain repair......

judy, Joe2007 and kyratango like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Personally I sell damaged Roseville rather than hold onto it. It will sell, of course, but not for very much. I doubt the Roseville market will improve that much in the foreseeable future to be worth the storage space. Undamaged items, maybe will improve. Damaged items, no. The exception is very rare and unusual items.

Restoration is rarely worth the cost. I hate buying restored pieces. Usually whatever repairs they've had comes off in the first wash. I remember the guy who repaired and resold but I haven't seen him around in a long time.
    Don

6. Tauriels

Tauriels Well-Known Member

I plant "low maintenance" succulent plants in my damaged pottery, they cover up the chips and look very cool to boot!

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Polymer clay, baked, and permanent markers would be my method.
    Cheap, fun, and so satisfying to do by yourself!
    Thanks Aquitaine for remembering my repairs :))

8. kyratango

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I use corn starch and white glue for porcelain and white glue and baking soda for stoneware which has a texture. Mix with acrylic paint. Remember dries lighter. Then a clear gloss cover, if too shiny lightly sandpaper.
    greg

10. kyratango

Very interesting, Gregsglass, thanks for your tips, I'll keep that in my notes :happy:

11. Amber H

Amber H New Member

I buy damaged pieces (not for much money) and use them for decorating. I don't worry so much about something happening to it and they are much more beautiful for what Macy's or Target is selling now days. :)

12. Aquitaine

@dgbjwc, you're difficult to catch up with!!!! Did I hear you say you wanted a seasonal chapeau???? Will this do, or rather something more along the Renaissance lines???? :):):):)

zXMAS DGBJWCa.jpg

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Love the blue hat, you are very creative Aquitaine:inpain:

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

On what to blame absences on?! Holidays, out of town guests and relatives, head cold, misbehaving phone, Christmas decorating, doctors' appointments, finding yet one more square inch to squeeze in more inventory when I already have more than I can ever possibly sell, ebay sales - the list goes on and on. Pick any three or more. Not to mention the fact that I wander off every time I see something shiny and have to start over (when I can even remember what I was doing before the shiny thing appeared). Hopelessly out of control but wouldn't have it any other way.

But I digress, I do like my new attire - quite holiday festive! Thank you! Will switch to it tomorrow morning and go back to the roses some time in January. Isn't there something about a run for the roses in the Spring? Thanks again!
    Don

judy, kyratango, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  15. Aquitaine

You're MOST welcome!!!! I love to play!!!! And yes, the Run for the Roses is the Kentucky Derby.....in May, I think, but don't hold me to it!!!!!! But I too will be getting busy now, what with doing my Stollen Bread and trying to make some Springerle cookies for the first time evah!!! Getting decorations up like everyone else to one degree or another, a few festivities and some MUST wrappings!!!!! Getting Gracie to the groomer....she SO needs a clipping!!!!! AND, like everyone else....etc., etc., etc.,........:depressed::cyclops::jimlad::meh::nailbiting::eek::eek::eek::wacky::wacky:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    judy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted