What would this little Czech brass photo box have been used for?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Elen Beattie, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Picked up this little brass horseshoe shaped box at auction with a pretty lady's photograph on it. She looks Edwardian but I am assuming the box dates to at least after 1918 with the "Made in Czechoslovakia" stamp on the inside. Any ideas what it would have been used for? I can't find similar, but Google may just be betraying me today. Measures 2"L x 2"W. Thanks :)
    333636575_1598924670556240_1133196340519965839_n.jpg 333586903_668477978368967_4591131090085788062_n.jpg 333640829_1370874577085336_5269810783293888625_n.jpg 333816279_206034005378672_3243901846442605382_n.jpg

Boland, kyratango, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Maybe a pill box?

Boland, wlwhittier, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Stamps is the first thing that comes to mind.

Debora

Boland, wlwhittier, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely box. Is the photograph printed on paper, or something else? I see it doesn't fit well into the space. Looks like a DIY sort of project to put it in. Maybe made as a memento to remember a loved one. Or maybe it's a photo of the owner of the box. I just noticed there is an upturned horseshoe shape around the photo. That was a symbol of good luck.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think there was a cabochon of some sort where the photo is.Doesnt look like a high end type of thing.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Forget-me-nots and a good luck symbol. A gift from a sweetheart I'd think. And, no, not an expensive item in its time but full of sentiment.

Debora

1200px-Myosotis_arvensis_ois.jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

finally a good luck piece with the horseshoe in the proper position......
    I like pill box..too..

8. Elen Beattie

The photo is on a thick paper, almost card. Yes definitely looks like a DIY project!

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I second that. So many upside down horseshoes... bad luck, lets all the good luck fall out. I am superstitious??? Yes sir.

10. Elen Beattie

Oh yes, a pretty Czech glass cabochon would have been very nice!

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still could be...trash the photo....find a gem !!

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Elen Beattie

Trash the photo, that gave me a giggle :hilarious:.

komokwa likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

As if! There seems to be a prong missing. I'd bet whatever was in there originally fell out. Somebody put an old picture of the wife/mom/bestie into the space. The photo has been there longer than the original piece of glass was by this time. I'd say leave her there. Stamp box for me too. The box wasn't carried in a pocket or the photo would have a lot of wear on it. Maybe it held hard candies originally and was reused for stamps. It's not even close to air-tight and wasn't originally, so no good for pills. Wouldn't be the first time one of these small boxes got repurposed; people didn't throw stuff out like we do.

14. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Ain't that th' truth!

Elen Beattie and silverbell like this.
  15. Elen Beattie

Thanks for your feedback and info as always everyone! I think I will leave her in place, I like the sentimentality :)