What's causing these holes and how to treat it

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeaGoat, May 11, 2022.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I left this piece outside on my covered porch for a couple months while I stripped it.

Before stripping it, I never noticed any active drilling, but a couple weeks ago I noticed some fine saw dust.. didn't think much of it because I had been sanding it and we are currently at battle with carpenter bees :sour:

I cleaned it off, waxed it, and brought it into my front hall.

Today I was scooting it backwards and noticed it had fresh sawdust.
    I had this piece inside for months and never saw the first bit of sawdust.

It seems the only active holes are a couple on the side, not the multiple holes pictured, they were just in better light.

What causes these holes and how do I terminate them?

Active, see the sawdust below the hole?
    20220511_085108.jpg

Not active
    20220511_085117.jpg

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Deathwatch beetle? Woodworm?

Pat Dennis, johnnycb09 and Figtree3 like this.
  3. SeaGoat

Ah, the deathwatch beetle, they do have a way of destroying things
    1411325053PM18.jpg

But seriously, I think they are related to powder post, which I forgot about.

I think I read borax to kill it?

Pat Dennis, pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like some kind of wood worm, but I don't know how large the item is.
    I have tented some small furniture pieces with those giant contractor trash bags and emptied a can of poison into the bag, let it sit for weeks. This worked for me.

SeaGoat, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The holes resemble to me....powder post beetles......rarely saw them...if ever..... but, they also never succeeded in taking down our 300 year old summer house!!! No, seriously, as I "remember", my Dad may have soaked the main beams in creosote over a winter outside, when the house was taken down for restoration, but it never COMPLETELY eliminated the beetles....you have a smaller item than beams in a house and should have better luck!! However, the creosote, may be a valid treatment.......wait for others to chime in....may also be a newer and better treatment!!!!:happy::happy::):)

AND in case you're bored (bad pun), here's some Google reading!!!!
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...positively+get+rid+of+the+POWDERPOST+BEETLE??

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    SeaGoat and Figtree3 like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Definitely woodworm.
    Its probably riddled inside.
    I would burn it.

Fern77 likes this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Moths got to it. Plenty of commercial products available, containing some kind of phenol.

SeaGoat likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AND, as you can seeeeee, you now have plenty of Drs in the house!!!!:happy::hilarious::jawdrop::joyful::singing::D:D:D:D:joyful::joyful::joyful: Take your pick!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing:

SeaGoat, pearlsnblume and Renee Yancy like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had this piece inside for months and never saw the first bit of sawdust.

Inside your garage.....or house ?

Do u have other wood furniture in the area ?

or like wood floors or walls..?

I don't know the bugs lifecycle.......but if they tend to migrate.....a weekly check of all wood in the area is called for......

SeaGoat, pearlsnblume and NewEngland like this.
  11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Locally (Washington state, upper-left corner of the map) one of the 'solutions' for powder post beetle is a washdown with ammonia...Parson's Household strength, nothing Industrial. I've used it on older lumber, barn siding & etc. Powder post beetle is pretty common here, where lots of folks heat with wood. Lotsa very fine 'saw'dust inna woodpile, if you're burning older, seasoned wood of most species. Good luck!

SeaGoat likes this.
  12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@SeaGoat , different types of termites have different types of droppings also. Though it probably is some type of worm, it may be a type of termite. On the west coast where I am at, termites are everywhere from ground level up. And contrary to popular belief, they do eat redwood . They are persistent little buggers.

In my parents side room is my sisters old English antique set . my father way back when sprayed it with malathion to kill those wood worms, and to this day, I would not bring it into my house because of the smell, and it cant be healthy...still does not explain my sister's problems...( well, maybe some of them actually..)

Dan

wlwhittier, komokwa and antidiem like this.
  13. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wormwood or Powder post! just freeze the wood as it will take care of both! If you want better info please state how big the pieces of wood are & if water will damage it!

SeaGoat likes this.
  14. SeaGoat

It's 84" tall, so it won't fit in my freezer, and I don't plan on burning it :confused:
    Prolonged water exposure will probably have a negative effect, but a wipe down of something will be fine.

I completely forgot I have Diatomaceous Earth and a powder duster.
    I'll spray that into all the holes and watch what happens, it should dry them right up

Draft saved Draft deleted