What's the rider holding in his left hand???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Picked this small vase up at a local thrift for a dollar as it piqued my interest because I couldn't figure out what the rider was holding in his left hand. Looks like he is holding either a prize or a scroll/message and with the other hand telling followers to kiss his butt. I suspect it is Chinese but I get a Mongolian vibe as well. The horse certainly has a Chinese style but the head looks more like a llamas. Don't think the artist had seen a horse before. Some of the hand painting was done with a single hair as you can see with a matchstick for comparison. Any ideas on what is going on?
    Data
    16.8cm High, 8.8cm Round, 0.21Kg

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know, but his left hand is on backwards.

Bakersgma, Rayo56, judy and 7 others like this.
  3. Miscstuff

A skilled artisan:D:D

judy, sabre123, i need help and 4 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's also a but ugly horse...:hilarious:

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He is definitely Chinese and seems to be holding a 'kuei' or jade court symbol of rank. Maybe he is saying something like 'make way for the messenger of the emperor'.

Originally a kuei was carried by courtiers and held to the mouth whenever they spoke to the emperor, as a symbol that they spoke the truth through heavenly jade. Later the kuei became a symbol of courtly status. The shape slowly evolved from dagger-like to rectangular tablet shaped.

The Jade Emperor and courtiers, all holding their jade kuei:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    komokwa, judy, sabre123 and 9 others like this.
  6. Miscstuff

Thanks AJ. That solves one problem. The next is the probable age. Anyone got any ideas??

i need help and judy like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Seems that the right hand is giving the BullS*** signal.

Draft saved Draft deleted