What's this chair?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, judy, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking late 1800s, aesthetic influence, perhaps some kind of ecclesiastical function. That top rail....some kind of devotional function?

judy, patd8643 and i need help like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks rather like a prayer chair.

judy likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I thought that at first but from the pic it looks like you'd have to be very tall to use it as a prayer chair, giant even.

I'd date this to c. 1910 and find it very attractive, if somewhat impractical other than as a hall chair.
    It's so "over the top" in a decorative sense that it could even be a showpiece by an apprentice celebrating journeyman status.

say_it_slowly and judy like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What would be the context of the "swastika" on the seat?

judy likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It almost looks like it's replicating the architectural elements of a room, window, cornice, the seat could even replicate a floor. I wonder if it was made for a specific location.

Not being a furniture person I googled looking at prayer chairs/prie dieu and butler/valet chairs etc. Some seem to be normal height. The closest I found design-wise so far is this pair described as Italian. You'll see they aren't too close.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8168266_47-a-pair-of-carved-walnut-chairs-european-rectangul

upload_2020-6-26_7-17-22.png

blooey likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think a showy hall chair and agree with a late 19-early 20th century date.

say_it_slowly, blooey and gregsglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted