What's this silver pattern ... and is this worth saving or just scrapping?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by evelyb30, Sep 8, 2018.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DSCF9898bitty.jpg DSCF9902bitty.jpg DSCF9903.JPG This came out of a friend's mother's house. The only mark on the back says "SILVER". It's probably fairly old, but is it worth saving or should it just be scrapped?

2. evelyb30

It's 8 inches long.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe polish and look for other marks, but it looks like the bowl is soldered or something.

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pattern is anyone's guess since it's not US made. Nice, though perhaps not as old as all that. Post WWII would be my thought.

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like there's a whole bunch of smaller writing on that last image....needs polishing to hopefully see it better....

judy and i need help like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to be an imitation
    of a 15th C.seal top spoon, so no pattern name, just a historical reprodction. Possibly from some 'Spoons through the Ages' collector's set.
    Think Franklin Mint or similar

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Gotta say, not seeing any resemblance to a seal top spoon other than perhaps a bit in the shape of the bowl.

I've seen this weirdness a couple of times before, appearing to be copies of American flatware patterns made in Asia (would guess China), and oddly, the others have also been somewhat unremarkable 20th century patterns. This one is Towle's Chippendale, introduced in 1937 - appears the handle and bowl were made separately, or suppose it could be a repair...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Thanks. Sounds like a good candidate for a Melt-me then. The only mark is the word SILVER; that meant it either had to be American and pretty darned old or Chinese and nothing worth worrying about.

Draft saved Draft deleted