What's Your Favorite Dud???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chiquita, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Let's have some fun (you all are a delightful group and enjoy reading your posts).

What's your greatest find at a garage sale, thrift, estate sale, family keepsake handed down to you, etc....that you were certain was worth a lot of $$$ And turned out to be a dud???

Mine was a pencil drawing I purchased for a few bucks at an antique store when I was in college (31 years ago). The drawing was really old and featured a woman (can't remember the details) sitting. I assumed it was from some great known artist and worth a small fortune. Trying to learn more about my treasure that would leave me worry free from college loans, I took it to a local museum to meet with the curator. Within two minutes I was told it was from an amature artist probably drawing for an art class. The drawing was done on old paper but not as ancient as I thought. Shortly thereafter, I left embarrassed.

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A stunning ring that I swore was jade and gold and turned out to be glass and brass ! It cost me several hundred dollars at a time I could ill afford it.My partner was mad at me for weeks. :)

judy, aaroncab and Chiquita like this.
  3. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::joyful: Thanks for sharing. I can only imagine. Whew. Couple hundred is quite a chunk.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted