When/where is this from?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Azimuth, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Azimuth

Azimuth New Member

Hi all,
    I recently picked this up at a flea market and have been trying to research the age/country it is from. However, after looking at various lion marks, none of which matched closely enough, I decided to ask those more knowledgeable than me. The item was picked up in Switzerland, though could be from anywhere in Europe I guess. It has a decent weight to it and the surface has some “pitting” / wear.
    Only visible mark is the Lion over a m.

Thank you for any assistance regarding its age / which county it’s from. 2178ED80-DC0D-4EB0-BC31-91FFBFC257B3.jpeg BA0E9F56-AF74-44B7-AC63-4B4740D474C6.jpeg 167E1DCA-30AB-4606-AEEA-ACFFC5349200.jpeg

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a crowned lion in a rose.........pewter maybe...

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Over an M

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have sold some pewter in that style though not with that mark. I would think pewter.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I do see the crowned lion, the 'm' but I also see what I think is a pig around the right and a few ears around the whole mark that I can't really put to an animal or animals yet!!:eek::joyful::jawdrop::woot: Velly velly strange.....pewter looks/sounds right....

PEWTER MARK.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2023-1-27_23-42-42.jpeg ....1760 - 90 ....?

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The Pewter Society in the U.K. has an enquiries service.
    https://www.pewtersociety.org/identifying-and-collecting-pewter/help-identification

They also have a page of sample enquiries and I see that they can also identify some non-British pewter. https://www.pewtersociety.org/identifying-and-collecting-pewter/help-identification/recent-enquiries

Since this item is likely to be from somewhere in Europe, perhaps they can help? Their service is free, and this means they will limit how long they will spend looking. They also ask for donations, although they are not required.

8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

P1910966.JPG
    Sall eye got