Featured Where Am I from? Embroidery Bird?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by cxgirl, Jun 9, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I picked up this fellow today, 12"L but not sure where he is from. Maybe Mexican or Scandanavian? Is this embroidery?
    Any information appreciated.
    (I don't know if this is male or female but I'm referring to him as male:))
    thanks for looking
    DSCF0616.jpg DSCF0620.jpg DSCF0617.jpg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yes, CX, definitely embroidery. Satin stitch for the solid parts, plus chain stitch and running stitch, and maybe more. Don't know where it's from, tho...

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks SBSVC, I'm never sure with needlework stuff:)

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I've seen similar ones, from India. Pretty sure (but not positive) that's where this was from as well.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thank-you Taupou:) India never crossed my mind, I'll do some searching and see what I can find

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Taupou. My guess is the region of Gujarat in the northwest, where they also make those mirrorwork embroideries. If not, try Rajasthan, generally the go to region to locate Indian crafts.
    It is a peacock, by the way. Used a lot in Indian art and crafts.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,
    I agree with a peacock from India. I used to see a lot of Indian things when I lived near Iselin/Edison NJ. It has the largest Indian based area in the US. !00s of Indian stores and sales. I miss it, Especially the spices lots of them in very large 3lbs and up containers.
    greg

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you AJ & greg:) Google must not like me as I'm not finding anything close to mine searching India or the 2 regions suggested by AJ although my thread does come up each time:)
    Any other suggestions?

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I keep only finding elephants. :oops:

cxgirl likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol I need help:) you are doing better than me.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. i need help

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    cxgirl likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I've tried patchwork and ethnic, cloth, silk, embroidery, peacock, bird, hen, folk art and probably some other terms but not seeing anything similar.
    thanks for looking i need help:)

i need help likes this.
  13. i need help

Cx Girl, what is that loose thread? Is it a loop?

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

it is a loop for hanging up:)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I found different textile birds, sold on a string as door hangings from India. Amazon has some, but not nearly as nice as yours. They had very cute textile elephant door hangings though.

cxgirl likes this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ:) I saw a few of the elephant door hangings, they are cute

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

This is a good example of how not everything can be found under a web search. Especially when it comes to handmade, rather obscure, inexpensive objects, they often don't show up. Sometimes the best one can hope for is to find something similar. It's an inexact science.

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Taupou:) or it could mean this is a very rare piece that is worth a zillion dollars (I'm just kidding)
    Yes, I know many times exact items are not to be found, but always worth asking about them:)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted