Where could I find a list of Iran / Iraq hallmarks?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ruth, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Ruth

Ruth Member

I have a possibly 19th century iran/iraq silver Esther scroll case, but the hallmark is not in my Tardy. Does anybody know where more information about this type of silver can be found?
    hallmark 1.jpg hallmark 2.jpg hallmark 3.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Right period, wrong continent.;) Try pre-1905 North Africa for those shapes with a dotted surround.
    Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, if I'm correct. Don't know about Libya. The round marks are the assay mark, the square or lozenge ones the maker's mark.
    Those were all countries with important Jewish communities and Jewish silversmiths.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    tie.dye.cat and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

judy and Ruth like this.
  4. Ruth

Ruth Member

Thanks AnyJewlery. It's a beautiful repoussé piece, and seems typical of Persian silver (I'll try to post pictures tomorrow), but I guess I was wrong.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My usual go-to site for silver hallmarks has been taken down. Think they may have run afoul of the Hallmarks Institute. But have looked at Iranian marks in the past & been struck by how a lion's head seems to figure in most of them.

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not wrong....just in error......
    & around here...we fix errors !!!
    Love to see it whole !!

judy likes this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I see no repoussé in the provided photos,full piece photos will help.

8. Ruth

Ruth Member

As I said, I'll try to post pictures of the repoussé part tomorrow.

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I meant pre-1905 for all countries I mentioned. The ebay page has no info on pre-1905 Egyptian marks, the earliest mark it mentions is the date mark for 1916. Tardy, which Ruth has, does show pre-1905 marks.
    I can recommend Tardy, the best quality print is the original French one, but there is also an English version.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    judy and Ruth like this.
  10. Ruth

Ruth Member

I can't decide if my hallmarks match any of these.
    hallmarks-min-min.jpg repousse-min (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  11. Any Jewelry

That is beautiful, Ruth.
    I can see how you would think Iran or Iraq (and Syria). But the floral scrolls could also be the European influence in coastal North Africa.
    The marks are too worn or badly punched to make a definitive decision, I think.
    But Oran would certainly be a possibility. It says in the very interesting article in the link below that the Jews from Tlemcen had been invited to join the Jewish community in Oran by the local Bey, so Oran is a good bet.
    https://www.bh.org.il/jewish-community-oran-algeria/

I don't think Kabyle is likely, that is a distinctly Berber culture, and Berber Jewish silversmiths made Berber style items.
    My Berber Jewish earrings, Tunisia or Algeria. Scrollwork yes, but very simple engraving on flat, cast silver, no repoussé:
    upload_2017-12-3_11-27-9.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Mill Cove Treasures, judy and Ruth like this.
  12. Ruth

Ruth Member

Thank you for the link and for your help. The earrings are beautiful, but how do you know they are jewish? I have seen a lot of Islamic art with stars of david (unless North Africa is different then the Ottoman Empire, where the stuff I have seen comes from).

komokwa, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

You're right, in fact the star of David is seen much more in Islamic art than in Jewish art. In this case the combination with the daisy is the tell tale sign. In North Africa the star of David with a daisy is the symbol of Jews. You also see it on Jewish houses. A daisy is also a Jewish symbol in the Middle East.
    Non-Jewish Berber jewellery (often Jewish made) of Tunisia and Algeria usually has ancient Carthagean symbolism like a stylized Tanit (Goddess), birds and fish. And/or the ever-present hamsa.

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

With the new photo,the piece appears to be chased and not repoussé.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted