Where does brass tray table come from?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by JanieB, Sep 30, 2018.

1. JanieB

JanieB Member

tray 2.jpg tray 3.jpg tray 2.jpg tray 3.jpg Hi everyone, I am hoping you might be able to help identify where this brass tray table may have come from please? I've taken individual photos of the repeated scenes which appear round the tray and also some writing on the back that I can't make out other than the letter M - could it be a place name maybe? It comes with an ebonised folding base which is highly decorated with mother of pearl (I think!). All suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Made all over the Middle East and North Africa. The inclusion of human figures in yours might help to pin it down.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

That's a gorgeous table! :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Base might help identify too. Much more ornate than most.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Might be telling story of Heracles killing the Nemean Lion, but if so, not sure what the other animals are doing; deer, cat, ???

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

7. JanieB

JanieB Member

Thanks everyone, glad you like it! Yes Hercules would definitely make sense. Its certainly beautiful - be great to know its history. Does anyone know what sort of age it might be please?

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You could get a rough idea of age from the wooden part, or post lots of photos of it for others to look at. I’m 96% sure it was made sometime in 20th C. These are still being made today. They are fairly common and absent something extraordinary, seem to sell from about $20-100., although I haven’t checked any real data lately. Look up past threads on brass trays on this forum for more info. And remember Heracles was Greek and Hercules was Roman.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. JanieB

JanieB Member

Thanks for the additional suggestions - all of which I will do, so more photos coming tomorrow. (Yes, I meant Heracles - I remember him from school!)

Christmasjoy likes this.