Featured Where was this woven textile made?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This textile measures 62" wide by 80" long. It is two pieces sewn together, each 31" wide. The ends are folded under and sewn. It is heavy - but not really heavy enough for a rug.

At first I thought Middle Eastern, but I can't find anything like this by using that term.

smallDSCN6735.JPG
    smallDSCN6740.JPG

smallDSCN6741.JPG

JBo, Any Jewelry, reader and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

PortableTreasures likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Thanks cluttered. I don't see the same colors or the same shapes in that link though. :(

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My best guess would be Guatemala.

Debora

textiles-guatemala-george-holton.jpg

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I am also thinking Guatemalan/Mayan. Narrow pieces sewn together often points toward their having been woven on a backstrap loom - the width limited by how far the weaver can comfortably reach.
    Can you tell what the fibers are? And is there any special treatment at the seam joining the 2 pieces?

7. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

My first thought was Mexican, but the way of weaving made me doubt

8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

With respect to all:I don’t have time to research right now and I’m overall a rug moron with some knowledge (really kilims and Navajos) and I can’t get past agreeing with the OP and seeing Moroccan. Specifically Moroccan. I don’t know and don’t have time to research right now but before you eliminate it check it out.

EDIT LOL Nope have to agree with the others as Guatemalan even though there is something so “Middle East/N African“ to me but now that I look at it I think I’m seeing stepped pyramids LOL so has to be Latin American and Guatemala definitely does that kind of stripping. I think this piece is great looking.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Okay - I did a burn test. I think it's wool, or alpaca, or llama.

The two pieces are whip stitched together. If you didn't know to look for it, you wouldn't even see the seam.

antidiem and reader like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Close but no cigar.
    O well:)

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To add to the confusion, I thought southern Balkans (including Greece).:bag:

2manybooks likes this.
  12. 2manybooks

Well, that might push it into South America - Andean. They used similar techniques. It would be described as a warp-faced fabric (the warp is packed so tightly that it forms the visible surface, while the weft is hidden), with supplementary/substitution warps to form the patterns (this method creates the long "floats" on the back of the textile). Cotton is traditional in Guatemala, although @Taupou has explained that wool yarn has been introduced and is also used. But this looks like fine hand spun, single ply yarn, which I would expect to be more typical of Andean traditions.

13. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I am seeing that in bedouin rugs they typically connect two pieces together. And they are woolen

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They do that in many areas where they have narrow looms. Often hip looms, but not always.

reader likes this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Yes true but there was something about that pattern.

Fascinated that AJ said Greece as I can see that too. It’s more kilimish which is why I strayed from Latin.Am I seeing pyramids in that pattern? If so can’t be Greece. Or is it just a stepped design but I see a doorway.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Yes true but there was something about that pattern.

Niw I’m fascinated that AJ said Greece as I can see that too. It’s more kilimish which is why I strayed from Latin.Am I seeing pyramids in that pattern? If so can’t be Greece
    Blowing up I don’t think I see pyramidal shapes. I don’t know what I see.See Greek key (and dead people). I’m back to kilimish. It never read Latin to me but couldn’t demy thinking I saw a pyramidal shape.

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Here's another picture - I don't know if it will help.

smallDSCN6739.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Really interested in a definitive answer but I can’t get past a non Latin vibe.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. 2manybooks

@Bookahtoo - Let me double-check. I have been assuming the stripes run parallel to the selvage edges, i.e. in the warp direction. And that the seam runs parallel to the stripes, selvage edge to selvage edge. Is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  20. Bookahtoo

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted