Whereabouts of the originals of an Adolf Eberle and a Louis Toffoli

Discussion in 'Art' started by TT Antique, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Hi All
    Can anyone please help to identify the attached pics? One is a hunter and his family by a German painter called Adolf Eberle(1843-1914). The other one shows two mothers with their babies by a French painter by the name Louis Toffoli(1907-19990). The Toffoli picture I attached depicts a limited edition tapestry probably entitled 'yucatan'...Strangely I couldn't get any information about the whereabouts of the originals of these two paintings.I appreciate it if someone can shed a light.I got the two pics from google image.
    Thanks in advance!
    TTA

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Yucatan" title unlikely as the scene is Andean.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The first one is entitled "The Old Hunter at Home."

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You first link is to the sale of a tapisserie or tapestry. The second link might be it, for a painting on canvas.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. TT Antique

Thanks Deborah and all-fakes!
    Regarding the Toffoli,,,the one auctioned under yucatan is a tapestry,,the other one sold with Yucatán title is a diffetent painting...Deborah has noted whether an original exists as it says in the tapestry auction( translated as)
    "Tapestry prints after a carton of the artist",,,but as we all know limited prints of pictures are released after real originals,,hence the existence of a carton in the design of the tapestry only adds one layer to the mystery..but good point all the same,,,I couldn't find the website of the toffoli museum maybe I will ask them by email,,the other gallery website shows some lithographs and paintings of Toffoli but our illusive picture is not there,,,hence the mystery continues,,,
    Regarding the Adolf Ebeler pic, yes the title is as what Deborah forwarded,,but there is no information whatsoever anywhere,,,isn't it strange?
    Let's see what others could add ,,,
    Again thanks for the great feedback!
    TTA

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Preparatory drawings for things including tapestries were called cartoons.
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=cartoon

cartoon (n.) [​IMG]
    1670s, "a drawing on strong paper (used as a model for another work)," from French carton, from Italian cartone "strong, heavy paper, pasteboard," thus "preliminary sketches made by artists on such paper" (see carton). Extension to comical drawings in newspapers and magazines is 1843: "Punch has the benevolence to announce, that in an early number of his ensuing Volume he will astonish the Parliamentary Committee by the publication of several exquisite designs, to be called Punch's Cartoons!" ["Punch," June 24, 1843]

See the Raphael cartoons in the V&A:
    http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/r/raphael-cartoons/

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't think it's strange that ownership not showing up on internet. Could be anywhere -- a regional museum, a private collection.

Would it be cheeky of me to ask why you're trying to locate them?

Debora

14. TT Antique

The thing is, the whole philosophy of limited prints with artist signature was to give buyers the chance of owning something authentic even though they missed the one and only original painting the artist sold.. Artists
    nowdays keep a digital backup when they sell thier originals so that they produce thier prints easily..in older days there were other means,,the preparatory cartoon work in this tapestry just shows how the printing was made and does not rule out an original existed,,,
    TTA

Draft saved Draft deleted